Hasleo Software Forums

Full Version: Memory_Management error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear all,
I'm now to this great world of Windows Portable.

I've installed Win10 on a USB flash and when starting I get a blue screen with
":( Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. You can restart. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Tech data:
PC: Dell Inspiron 7359, i7, 13", USB3, Win10-64 (service tag 9ZDW682)
USB flash: Kingstone HyperX Savage 256 GB, 350/250 MB/s
Installed portable OS: Win 10-64 (installed in VHDX mode); tried also Win8-64 in VHDX and VHDX, same error.

I needed to set the Boot mode to Legacy (non UEFI) to be able to select the USB drive for boot (F12 at startup).
By the way, after setting Boot Legacy mode, when I'd like to boot again with the original OS, I need to change again Boot Mode settings to Only UEFI.

Any idea?
(07-25-2016, 09:48 PM)cobarcore Wrote: [ -> ]Dear all,
I'm now to this great world of Windows Portable.

I've installed Win10 on a USB flash and when starting I get a blue screen with
"Sad Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. You can restart. If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Tech data:
PC: Dell Inspiron 7359, i7, 13", USB3, Win10-64 (service tag 9ZDW682)
USB flash: Kingstone HyperX Savage 256 GB, 350/250 MB/s
Installed portable OS: Win 10-64 (installed in VHDX mode); tried also Win8-64 in VHDX and VHDX, same error.

I needed to set the Boot mode to Legacy (non UEFI) to be able to select the USB drive for boot (F12 at startup).
By the way, after setting Boot Legacy mode, when I'd like to boot again with the original OS, I need to change again Boot Mode settings to Only UEFI.

Any idea?

Please adjust the VHD disk size to the maximum value according to the following guidelines then try again.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=70]
Thank you for reply. In my tests I've always set the max size (234 GB for VHDX, 127 GB for VHD).
Any other idea?
Update: I've also tested with Boot Mode set to: UEFI on, Secure mode OFF (no Legacy). Same problem as above (OS try to start but after a few seconds a blue screen with error: Memory_Management) but at least I'm able to select USB or HDD without need to change bios boot mode every time.
The native Windows OS running on this PC is Win10-64 (service tag 9ZDW682), so this PC is compatible with Windows 10.

Please check to see if any of the following items apply to your situation:
1. Many computers don't support booting from a device connected to a USB PCI add-on card or external USB hubs, so please connect the drive directly to the host machine.
2. If the computer is not booting from a USB 3.0 port, try to boot from a USB 2.0 port.
3. Some computer's BIOS have problems with booting USB drives larger than 32/64/128GiB. That means on these computer, the system partition and boot partition can't span beyond
the 32/64/128GiB boundary. So please create a small partition (Less than 32/64/128G) at the the beginning of the hard disk and try again.

If it still failed, please try using a USB hard disk to create portable Windows.
Here I'm after some testing:
1. tested all three USB ports: no differences
2. all ports are 3.0
3. I've tried to make a partition <128GB, but the problem is that WinToUSB always format the USB flash prior to installation and this format includes the partitioning to full size.
I've tried also to ask WinToUSB to make a VHDX <32GB, no differences.
How to follow n.3 hint?

Up to now I don't have a USB hard drive to test.
(07-26-2016, 10:30 PM)cobarcore Wrote: [ -> ]Here I'm after some testing:
1. tested all three USB ports: no differences
2. all ports are 3.0
3. I've tried to make a partition <128GB, but the problem is that WinToUSB always format the USB flash prior to installation and this format includes the partitioning to full size.
I've tried also to ask WinToUSB to make a VHDX <32GB, no differences.
How to follow n.3 hint?

Up to now I don't have a USB hard drive to test.

Have you tried cloning the existing Win10-64 installation on local HDD to the USB flash drvie using "Physical To USB"? 
Physical To USB - Clone existing Windows OS to a USB drive
Thanks also for this hint. Tested cloning the original SSD installation on the cited USB flash drive. The result is exactly the same: Memory_Management error at startup :-(

This time two partitions were create on the USB flash drive, while when I install the ISO to the same drive I get the choice of only one partition. Is this normal?
(07-29-2016, 06:42 AM)cobarcore Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks also for this hint. Tested cloning the original SSD installation on the cited USB flash drive. The result is exactly the same: Memory_Management error at startup :-(

This time two partitions were create on the USB flash drive, while when I install the ISO to the same drive I get the choice of only one partition. Is this normal?

I'm sorry, it seems that this Windows To Go drive is not compatible with your computer. 

We recommend that you use other USB devices to create Windows To Go, highly recommend using the USB hard drive or Windows To Go Certified Drive.
Thanks for coming back.

Some other tests:
* USB2 hard disk 500GB. Installed Win10-64, exactly same behaviour as with USB3 flash drive. :-(
* USB2 flash drive 16GB, installing Win7-64 (higher versions are too large for this drive) and the result is a blue screen with error STOP: 0x0000007B (....). This code is found on Microsoft website as "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE".

I've looked to the list of recommended drives. They are quite expensive, not very large and not so fast. :-( I'll try with mine again a little bit.