Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
BSOD on boot after successful Windows 7 installation
Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a 1TB USB hard drive with Win2USB. The installation completes successfully, but once I reboot and Windows starts to load, I get a BSOD. I've tried the following scenarios:

1. Installation from Windows 7 DVD
2. Installation from existing Windows 7 hard drive
3. Changing to another USB HDD casing
4. Booting up in safe mode

In all scenarios I'm getting BSOD upon booting up.

Here's the BSOD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oeuwkaq5tyb6x...0.jpg?dl=0

What's wrong?
Windows 7 to go drive must boot from USB 2.0 port, please make sure that the drive is boot from a USB 2.0 port.
Turns out it's the BIOS SATA setting. I have to set it to SATA (I'm guessing this is legacy IDE mode?) instead of AHCI. I didn't think it'd matter.
I'm having a similar problem now on the same drive.

After a fresh Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit installation, it works fine once I set the BIOS SATA setting to ATA instead of AHCI. However, after I install device drivers (Intel chipset drivers, USB drivers, networking drivers, audio drivers, etc) and reboot, then I get the same BSOD.

I tried switching back to AHCI thinking perhaps the installation of the chipset drivers might have enabled AHCI somehow, but still no go. What else could it be? The USB 3.0 drivers perhaps? On the Win2USB main page it states:

Quote:•Windows 7/2008 R2 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, so Windows 7/2008 R2 will have to be booted from a USB 2.0 port.

My laptop only has USB 3.0 ports though. Could it be that prior to installing the USB 3.0 drivers Windows treats my USB 3.0 ports as 2.0 ports, and only after I installed the USB 3.0 drivers, it recognizes them as USB 3.0 ports and then stops working? How can I make this work?

I've installed on a USB 2.0 drive btw.
(07-09-2015, 11:00 PM)admin Wrote: Windows 7 to go drive must boot from USB 2.0 port, please make sure that the drive is boot from a USB 2.0 port.

I installed WIN7 pro with USB port 2.0, system works fine. then I installed USB3.0 drivers on it. after that, I got BSOD when booting up. I tried both USB3 and USB2, same result. It seems Win7 cannot load USB3 drive during boot process even the drivers are installed already?
(09-29-2015, 11:59 PM)newnews Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 11:00 PM)admin Wrote: Windows 7 to go drive must boot from USB 2.0 port, please make sure that the drive is boot from a USB 2.0 port.

I installed WIN7 pro with USB port 2.0, system works fine. then I installed USB3.0 drivers on it. after that, I got BSOD when booting up. I tried both USB3 and USB2, same result. It seems Win7 cannot load USB3 drive during boot process even the drivers are installed already?

Microsoft does not provide a USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7. Some vendors have their own USB3.0 drivers for Windows 7, but we have never tested it, so WinToUSB drive may not work properly if you use a third-party USB3.0 driver.

We recommend you to create a Windows 10/8 To Go drive, then you can boot it from a USB 3.0 port, it is more safe and reliable.
(10-01-2015, 01:00 AM)admin Wrote:

Microsoft does not provide a USB 3.0 driver for Windows 7. Some vendors have their own USB3.0 drivers for Windows 7, but we have never tested it, so WinToUSB drive may not work properly if you use a third-party USB3.0 driver.

We recommend you to create a Windows 10/8 To Go drive, then you can boot it from a USB 3.0 port, it is more safe and reliable.
Experience sharing:
-Enabling USB3.0 - Windows 7 Pro x86
-Installed Win7 Win2USB on a 16Gb USB-Stick on a normal way

Upgrading from USB2.0 to USB3.0 Drivers:
- booting from usb2.0 usb-port (or from USB 3.0 without driver working as USB 2.0)

-downloaded Win7-Intel®_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver_5.0.4.43 (lower versions are not successful) and unzip to desktop or...
-Setup is not installing as my motherboard does meet min requirements

-- execute device Manager >double click on yellow marked USB controller >update driver>.browse  my computer for driver software>let me pick from a list...>next>Have disk>Browse> ....>select iusb3hub.inf >OK> select Intel ® USB 3.1 extensible Host controller apply....

One more device (as unidentified ) will pop up , follow the above method but except last step , where we have to select Intel ® USB 3.0 Root Hub

-Reboot the PC

- booting from USB 3.0 port is working, too.

I always make use of recurve bows and installed WIN7 pro with USB port 2.0, system works fine. then I installed USB3.0 drivers on it. after that, I got BSOD when booting up. I tried both USB3 and USB2, same result. It seems Win7 cannot load USB3 drive during boot process even the drivers are installed already?

Does it make any difference if the device is unidentified?
(09-29-2015, 11:59 PM)I used a USB 3.0 external drive for a Win 7 WinToUSB clone, and I get the BSOD if this is plugged into a USB 3 or USB 2 socket. Is the USB 3 drive causing the problem even if plugged into a 2.0 port?  newnews Wrote:

(08-23-2022, 01:19 PM)floydprica Wrote:
(07-09-2015, 01:21 PM)galapogos Wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a 1TB USB hard drive with Win2USB. The installation completes successfully, but once I reboot and Windows starts to load, I get a BSOD. I've tried the following scenarios:

1. Installation from Windows 7 DVD
2. Installation from existing Windows 7 hard drive
3. Changing to another USB HDD casing
4. Booting up in safe mode

In all scenarios I'm getting BSOD upon booting up.

Here's the BSOD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oeuwkaq5tyb6x...0.jpg?dl=0/flagle

What's wrong?
Does it matter if the device can't be pinned down?
Is USB 3 involved in any way in the process?  If so, that is probably the cause. Others may explain derails.