03-19-2016, 04:33 PM
(03-19-2016, 09:38 AM)admin Wrote:(03-17-2016, 11:26 PM)x10an14 Wrote:(03-16-2016, 09:43 PM)admin Wrote:(03-13-2016, 06:12 AM)mod Wrote: To anyone else being plagued by this issue, it's either a bug in the newer versions OR (and I believe this is the true cause) a cheap way to force users to move from free version to paid.
I've burned ~4 hours today trying to use WinToUSB to install a bunch of different .iso versions of Win8, 8.1, 7, to an external USB HDD. Every iso gave the same error ("Failed to extract VIM file.."). I've turned off every firewall, windows defender, uninstalled anti-virus, ran the program in admin mode - nothing helped, nor did any of the tips here. But here's the solution I found:
*simply download an older version*
You can find the archive here: http://wintousb.en.uptodown.com/old .
I've downloaded v.1.6 and the annoying error went away. Hopefully this will save somebody's precious time.
We are not forcing anyone to buy WinToUSB, as long as you don't use it in a commercial environment.
Maybe there is a bug in WinToUSB, we hope you can send the user.log file to us if you have any problems when using the latest version of WinToUSB, and we will try our best to resolve all the problems.
Please find my user.log attached. It has all my attempts with the latest version of WinToUSB from today. The last 4-6 attemps should be the most interesting ones.
I know the last should represent an attempt with a valid, legal Windows 8.1 image I'm trying to use to make the personal (non-commercial use) HDD bootable with.
The third to last (I think, because I forgot to re-format the partition in between) attempt should be the same as the last, except with a valid, legal Windows 10 image.
Oh, and it did not work for me with neither version 2.6 nor 1.6. (Did not bother writing down/saving those errors/logs).
Edits: It seems that "user.log" is a type of file not permitted to attach.
Since the Error Message follows the same color/style as the rest of the forum, it was easily overlooked the first couple of attempts...
Oh, and now the error states that the maximum size allowed is 200 kb. Not 1 MB like it says at the bottom in the black bar.
I must say, this setup is pretty shittily administered/configured.
Anyways, here are the three files I had to split the original 432 kb user.log file into...
Please try the following:
1. Assign a drive letter to the target boot partition (such as I: )
2. Run command prompt (cmd.exe) as administrator
3. Type the following commands to enable short file name on I:
fsutil 8dot3name set I: 0
4. Run WinToUSB to create the W2G drive agin.
We have fixed the problem, please try this patch: http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/downloads/WinToUSB_Setup_Patch.exe