Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can anyone please explain how to create Win to VHD option ?
Rainbow 
Hve the latest Beta Build installed.

I have tried several different ways, but the VHD option just stays greyed out Sad

Please give a detailed description as I can find very little info how to use it ?

Thank You
(03-02-2015, 06:38 AM)usbear Wrote: Hve the latest Beta Build installed.

I have tried several different ways, but the VHD option just stays greyed out Sad

Please give a detailed description as I can find very little info how to use it ?

Thank You

This feature is only available in Windows 7 or later operating system.
(03-02-2015, 04:03 PM)admin Wrote:

Thank You

Yes I'm using windows 8.1 64Bit Ent.

When selecting the destination disk partitions, only the Legacy option is selected and cannot select the VHD option.

Have created and attached a VHD file to the usb drive, but the option stays greyed out.

Please supply help file or info on working with VHD option ?

Thank You
Wink 
Well I suppose you have to first change your usb drive to GPT from MBR, then create small UEFI Fat32 partition, and the big partition formatted to NTFS. Create a VHD file on it and hopefully WinToUsb will give you the VHD option ?

Am I correct ?

Can this only be done with UEFI boot and not Legacy boot ?

Anyone ? Huh
(03-02-2015, 04:37 PM)usbear Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 04:03 PM)admin Wrote:

Thank You

Yes I'm using windows 8.1 64Bit Ent.

When selecting the destination disk partitions, only the Legacy option is selected and cannot select the VHD option.

Have created and attached a VHD file to the usb drive, but the option stays greyed out.

Please supply help file or info on working with VHD option ?

Thank You

The host OS (Windows OS with an installed copy of WinToUSB) must be Windows 7 or later operating system.
Ok not to sound like a like an old record player, but windows 8.1 is a later operating system then Windows 7, or do you mean Windows 7 only ?

Are we are not understanding each other ?
I guess something about your post made him think your issue still has something to do with the Win version you're running the WinToUSB builder from.

In any case, to your comment:
Quote:first change your usb drive to GPT from MBR, then create small UEFI Fat32 partition, and the big partition formatted to NTFS
Yes, that is what I found the need to do. And yes - I further believe you need to use the newer UEFI mode in order to allow boot from VHD. Older legacy MBR style boot method had no way of specifying a VHD file on an NTFS partition as a boot device I guess...
You do not need to create or mount a VHD file... Once you pre-create the disk and partition layout above, the VHD option should light up. Selecting it and continuing on will create the VHD disk, mount it and install Windows To Go onto it. If you get any regular Windows 'format disk' popup messages, Cancel out of them... (http://www.easyuefi.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=104).
Thanks steje, I will try that and see how it goes.
For some reason trying to create the small fat32 partition together with the ntfs partition, WintoUsb is not recognizing my usb drive anymore.

It only sees it when formatted to ntfs only drive - I had a page from where I created this special setup for use with Win2USB (VHD option), but I lost it Sad

Can Anyone please give me detailed instructions to create this uefi partition ?
Dear Admin,

Can you please help me ?