Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Upgrade
Anybody know if a WinToUSB installation will upgrade to Windows 10? Neither my WinToUSB or a Bootable Clone on USB show the new "Get Windows 10" icon. Only the internal SATA installation shows that. It finally showed up on 2 Windows 7 laptops after the June Patches were applied.

DES
Not sure. Me if windows KNEW it was a bootable USB OS (which not sure how it works) Then i would assume not since you would be getting two copies of windows for the price of one. May have to wait till you upgrade yours then redo the USB drive.

Also depends if your USB is legit or not. The two updates that make the Upgrade notification know if you are not running a legit version of windows or not.
While I have this forum in my Feedly, apparently that doesn't list Replies? Hence the long delay getting back here.

Anyway, I have 2 USB installations of W8.1. One is a minimal WinToUSB installation, the other a Clone of the original/internal disk that was taught to boot from USB. Both could be argued "legitimate" copies of Windows as they run on the original hardware, only one at a time obviously, have been authorized using the original Product Code, and received the same Windows updates. However neither USB installation shows the Update to W10 Icon.

The WinToUSB installation supposedly will boot on other hardware (and perhaps the clone?), after creating a separate machine driver base, but this portable Windows installation concept is not my goal.

But I suppose I can understand Microsoft's view of not including a USB installation. They probably consider a clone as pirated copy! Though, restoring an internal disk from a previous disk image is hardly different. The clone is just a disk image on a different disk (with the different Disk Signature encoding corrected)!

I was hoping someone had a clue as to how to get a USB installation to follow the Upgrade path? Rather than me having to re-create the clone from scratch after the original updates to W10?

DES
My originally a clone of the internal installation that boots from USB started showing the Upgrade to Windows 10 icon and let me reserve another copy. No such luck on the WinToUSb installation so far. Whether or not an upgrade of a copy running from USB will actually work remains to be seen?

DES
And today after July Patch Tuesday (always wait until at least Thursday) the Upgrade to Windows 10 icon finally showed up for the WinToUSB installation too.

Whether or not this will actually work on a USB installation remains to be seen. And due to a rather revolting recent discovery could be academic. 2 of my 4 older computers have aftermarket graphics, that apparently have become "legacy" hardware. An Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS add-on card and an Nvidia GeForce G210M Dedicated Graphics in a laptop. According to Nvidia customer support "Windows 10 doesn't support either" (like "Windows" was responsible for Nvidia abandoning development of compatible drivers). But they're sorry for the inconvenience! So much for the hype about how Windows 10 required less resources and would run on anything. I mean what good is a "free" upgrade if you need a new computer to run it? Grump, grump.