Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't select destination partition
Trying to install Windows 8.1 on a USB 3 SSD external drive. When I get to the destination, WinToUSB sees the drive and I select it. It shows 2 partitions- 1 small and the other about 110GB. But I can't actually select them and the Next button is greyed out. Any idea what the problem is?

I should add that I was doing this on a Parallels VM on a Mac, also running Windows 8.1 But I don't think that should matter since everything is there. My intent is to make a bootable drive so that I can boot the Mac into Windows without taking up precious internal SSD space (I'll install the Bootcamp drivers onto the external drive later).
Thank you for reporting this problem.
Which version of WinToUSB you are using? Can WinToUSB recognize the file system of these two partitions correctly?
Please send the "user.log" to me, it is located in the bin folder under the installation directory.
(06-25-2015, 10:05 PM)admin Wrote: Thank you for reporting this problem.
Which version of WinToUSB you are using? Can WinToUSB recognize the file system of these two partitions correctly?
Please send the "user.log" to me, it is located in the bin folder under the installation directory.

Was this resolved as I have a 1tb seagate that I am trying to load win 7 to and I cannot get the next button to ungrey either.
I have formatted the drive, set it up both MBR and GPT, fat and NTFS, etc..

It lists in the drop down of both disk amamagement and also the list for WinToUSB.
I have included a snip it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-26-2015, 02:57 AM)rcolbert71 Wrote:

Was this resolved as I have a 1tb seagate that I am trying to load win 7 to and I cannot get the next button to ungrey either.
I have formatted the drive, set it up both MBR and GPT, fat and NTFS, etc..

It lists in the drop down of both disk amamagement and also the list for WinToUSB.
I have included a snip it.

Actually I found the issue.
I needed to make the allocation a little bigger on the part of the drive in order to complete the load.

I'm out of town so I'll have to deal with it when I return. But in regard to partitions, should I provide an unformatted disk or partitioned? If partitioned, what type of partition and disk formatting do you recommend?
Please read this usage guide carefully before using WinToUSB to crate Windows To Go workspace. http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_...ToUSB.html
So I redid the whole thing later on and everything worked. But now there's a different problem. There are 2 partitions. C: has windows. D: doesn't and has lots of room, but it is not writeable so I have 111GB of nothing. Any idea what I did wrong? Can it be fixed without starting over yet again?
Are you sure D: is a ntfs/fat partition? Please run chkdsk to scan D:.
I found the problem. I had never seen a vhd before. When setting up win2usb, that is the default, and the default size is 14GB, which is exactly what I got. Legacy wouldn't boot, so I did it with a vhd but used all the available disk space. Works great now.
That's great. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.