Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VHD and VHDX
Hi,

Does WinToUSB support writing to a fixed size VHDX when running from 8.1 host? I believe running from 7 Pro writes a VHD. VHDX is more fault tolerant than the 10 year old VHD format.

I noticed there is a WinToUSB.VHD file on the NTFS partition. Can this be converted to VHDX? Would I need to update any MBR/EUFI records with diskpart?

Thanks!
(07-11-2015, 04:55 AM)agentd Wrote: Hi,

Does WinToUSB support writing to a fixed size VHDX when running from 8.1 host?  I believe running from 7 Pro writes a VHD.  VHDX is more fault tolerant than the 10 year old VHD format.

I noticed there is a WinToUSB.VHD file on the NTFS partition.  Can this be converted to VHDX? Would I need to update any MBR/EUFI records with diskpart?

Thanks!

WinToUSB does not support vhdx, and we will implement it in the next version.
You need to change the BCD file in the system partition after converting VHD to VHDX. It's Not So Easy.
Thanks!

I've been toying with Rufus 2.2 with their UEFI_NTFS bootloader. I've been using the TechNet Convert-WindowsImage tool to make the VHDX files.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/sc...1-0fe23a8f

I've made two vhdx images, one with BCD in the VHD (for VMs) and one without (NativeBoot).

Convert-WindowsImage -SourcePath c:\Build\en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x64_dvd_2971948.iso -BCDinVHD VirtualMachine -Edition Professional  -SizeBytes 55GB -VHDFormat VHDX -VHDPartitionStyle GPT -VHDPath C:\Build\Win81ProVM.vhdx -VHDType Dynamic

Convert-WindowsImage -SourcePath c:\Build\en_windows_8_1_pro_vl_x64_dvd_2971948.iso -BCDinVHD NativeBoot -Edition Professional  -SizeBytes 55GB -VHDFormat VHDX -VHDPartitionStyle GPT -VHDPath C:\Build\Win81ProNB.vhdx -VHDType Dynamic

I' trying to figure out a way to boot BCD bootmgr direct from the first NTFS partition so I can select one of the above VHDX installs.  Also trying to make this all work on an SD-card in my 2015 MacBook Pro (removable storage).  Little sucess so far!
I just tried using the recent version of WinToUSB and mounted some VHDs {on my local SSD} I'd created using Powershell and it doesnt show those Drive letters as DESTINATIONs at all?

What am I doing wrong? Or do I need an older version of W2Usb? I noticed some similar posts on their forums with no final answers. Is it something they had in older versions?
WinToUSB will automatically create a VHD when creating VHD-based W2G drive, and it will not use the VHD you mounted, so you don't need to create a VHD when creating W2G drive.
(10-11-2015, 10:14 AM)admin Wrote: WinToUSB will automatically create a VHD when creating VHD-based W2G drive, and it will not use the VHD you mounted, so you don't need to create a VHD when creating W2G drive.

How do I invoke this VHD creation? I am currently not using a USB / Pen drive as they are slow compared to my internal SSD. Can I have this VHD be created on internal SSD or will WinToUSB only create it on an external attached USB drive.. Flash or HDD.

http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_...ToUSB.html

I havent seen a single place where it shows VHD creation.
(10-11-2015, 11:22 PM)xbliss Wrote:
(10-11-2015, 10:14 AM)admin Wrote: WinToUSB will automatically create a VHD when creating VHD-based W2G drive, and it will not use the VHD you mounted, so you don't need to create a VHD when creating W2G drive.

How do I invoke this VHD creation? I am currently not using a USB / Pen drive as they are slow compared to my internal SSD. Can I have this VHD be created on internal SSD or will WinToUSB only create it on an external attached USB drive.. Flash or HDD.

http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_...ToUSB.html

I havent seen a single place where it shows VHD creation.

WinToUSB can only create VHD based W2G on USB drive. And the VHD option is here:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=64]
(07-11-2015, 08:04 PM)admin Wrote:
(07-11-2015, 04:55 AM)agentd Wrote: Hi,

Does WinToUSB support writing to a fixed size VHDX when running from 8.1 host?  I believe running from 7 Pro writes a VHD.  VHDX is more fault tolerant than the 10 year old VHD format.

I noticed there is a WinToUSB.VHD file on the NTFS partition.  Can this be converted to VHDX? Would I need to update any MBR/EUFI records with diskpart?

Thanks!

WinToUSB does not support vhdx, and we will implement it in the next version.
You need to change the BCD file in the system partition after converting VHD to VHDX. It's Not So Easy.

WinToUSB now has support for creating VHDX-based Windows To Go and this feature has been included in the version 2.5 Beta.