(03-13-2016, 06:12 AM)mod Wrote: To anyone else being plagued by this issue, it's either a bug in the newer versions OR (and I believe this is the true cause) a cheap way to force users to move from free version to paid.
I've burned ~4 hours today trying to use WinToUSB to install a bunch of different .iso versions of Win8, 8.1, 7, to an external USB HDD. Every iso gave the same error ("Failed to extract VIM file.."). I've turned off every firewall, windows defender, uninstalled anti-virus, ran the program in admin mode - nothing helped, nor did any of the tips here. But here's the solution I found:
*simply download an older version*
You can find the archive here: http://wintousb.en.uptodown.com/old .
I've downloaded v.1.6 and the annoying error went away. Hopefully this will save somebody's precious time.
We are not forcing anyone to buy WinToUSB, as long as you don't use it in a commercial environment.
Maybe there is a bug in WinToUSB, we hope you can send the user.log file to us if you have any problems when using the latest version of WinToUSB, and we will try our best to resolve all the problems.