Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8.1 on external hdd uefi bios
Thumbs Up 
Hello,

I'm trying to install windows 8.1 to an external ssd 128 gb usb3.
When the process is 100 %. It doesn't boot. I did not try other version of windows but I don't believe this is the problem. I've made ntfs
Gpt two partitions as I've read on your topics but when I starting the usb creator, the program automatically format the hdd. Can you please let me know how can I do that step by step? Including the format and everything. I've tried to use the easyufei soft but with no luck. I didn't have all options like in your screenshot, even so, when it was 100% done, the ssd still doesn't boot. Secure boot and everything is disabled on bios.
[/align]
Thanks a lot

Ps: the laptop is a sony vaio duo 13 and I have no legacy option in bios
WinToUSB will automatically format USB flash driver as ntfs when the driver is large than 32G. In your case, we recommend you using a USB hard disk, you can format it as GPT.
I'm using an USB 3 external hdd(solid state drive 128 GB) ntfs GPT format(with DISKPART). The problem is when I running wintousb, the hdd format is always mandatory. I'm wondering if this format change the hard drive to MBR?
I will download a new copy of windows now and keep you updated, Maybe the windows .iso is the problem but is hard to believe(Booting problem)

Thanks
I'll keep you updated

Or do I need to install a x86 version of windows 8.1? I know UFEI bios(GPT) works with the x64 version...
It doesn't work....I don't know what else can I do...
Please send the "user.log" to me, it is located in the bin folder under the installation directory.
WinToUSB may wrongly assumed that your USB 3 external hdd is a USB flash drive.