Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance of SanDisk Extreme 64 GB and VHDX
I've ran some different installations from the USB thumb drive and I usually experience severe slowdowns. Usually, the disk usage tops 100% for several minutes and the response time goes up and down from 0 to more than 16 seconds.

This is a screen capture of the Task Manager while this happens. The system, while it happens is almost unusable, and it happens quite often.

[Image: Untitled_zpscuhbia70.png]

What could we do to avoid this?
Thanks!
Please do a full format on the USB flash drive before creating Windows To Go workspace, and you'd better to boot it from a USB 3.0 port.
If it still does not meet your requirements, recommend using a USB hard disk or a Windows To Go Certified Drives to create Windows To Go.
Thanks.
(02-24-2016, 10:13 PM)admin Wrote: Please do a full format on the USB flash drive before creating Windows To Go workspace, and you'd better to boot it from a USB 3.0 port.
If it still does not meet your requirements, recommend using a USB hard disk or a Windows To Go Certified Drives to create Windows To Go.
Thanks.
I did format before creating the workspace and I'm also using a USB 3.0 port (motherboard has 2). Using a HDD works better, but it's still the bottleneck of the system.
Which USB Flash drive gives the best performance for Windows To Go?

I will evaluate the acquisition of one.

Thank you!
We recommend Kingston DataTraveler Workspace or WD My Passport Enterprise.
By the way, Microsoft is not claiming that Windows To Go Workspace can achieve the performance of a local disk.
(02-25-2016, 09:46 PM)admin Wrote: We recommend Kingston DataTraveler Workspace or WD My Passport Enterprise.
By the way, Microsoft is not claiming that Windows To Go Workspace can achieve the performance of a local disk.

Anyways, I think that the thing that has a very bad impact in the performance is the usage of the VHXD method instead of direct access.

I have seen lots of reviews of SanDisk Extreme 64GB and there are users that received units that aren't "removable", but detected as fixed disks and they claim that performance is similar to a low-end SSD.