Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ver 3.1 Error "Disk type cannot be identified.(0x0578003802FD0000)"
I'm on a Windows 10 computer, using the latest version of WinToUSB, and every time I go to select my external hard disk drive, the error message "Disk type cannot be identified.(0x0578003802FD0000)" pops up. I have tried searching the Internet and cannot find anyone else with this problem.

Side note: I just used this hard drive to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Professional from an ISO image onto my hard drive, accidentally selecting "Windows 7 Home Premium" and unknowingly running everything through USB 3.0 ports. Needless to say my first run didn't work. I'm now going to install the 32 bit version (just to be safe) of Windows 7 Professional from an ISO image, however WinToUSB won't even identify my hard drive.
(07-15-2016, 05:11 PM)AKPhotographer Wrote: I'm on a Windows 10 computer, using the latest version of WinToUSB, and every time I go to select my external hard disk drive, the error message "Disk type cannot be identified.(0x0578003802FD0000)" pops up. I have tried searching the Internet and cannot find anyone else with this problem.

Side note: I just used this hard drive to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Professional from an ISO image onto my hard drive, accidentally selecting "Windows 7 Home Premium" and unknowingly running everything through USB 3.0 ports. Needless to say my first run didn't work. I'm now going to install the 32 bit version (just to be safe) of Windows 7 Professional from an ISO image, however WinToUSB won't even identify my hard drive.

About the "Disk type cannot be identified.(0x0578003802FD0000)" error message, please convert the USB drive to MBR partition scheme and try again. This is because Windows 7 32-bit doesn't support UEFI booting, you can't install it to a GPT disk.

You said "I just used this hard drive to install the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Professional from an ISO image onto my hard drive, accidentally selecting "Windows 7 Home Premium" and unknowingly running everything through USB 3.0 ports.". This is because Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, Windows 7 to go drive must be to boot from a USB 2.0 port. Please insert the 64-bit Windows To Go drive to a USB 2.0 port and try again.