Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disk or partition space is insufficient
I followed
"How to use WinToUSB to clone Windows 10 to an external hard drive as portable Windows 10"

System partition 200MB Fat32
boot partition NTFT of over 200 GB
Trying to clone a 100GB installed OS
Used an external SanDisk USB3 SSD drive of 250GB

Also Tried with a 500GB usb external disk and got the same error, so it looks the the size is not the issue

Attached Files
.zip   user.zip (Size: 2.62 KB / Downloads: 1)
(04-10-2018, 03:03 AM)Claudi0 Wrote: I followed
"How to use WinToUSB to clone Windows 10 to an external hard drive as portable Windows 10"

System partition 200MB Fat32
boot partition NTFT of over 200 GB
Trying to clone a 100GB installed OS
Used an external SanDisk USB3 SSD drive of 250GB

Also Tried with a 500GB usb external disk and got the same error, so it looks the the size is not the issue

WinToUSB need to write a very small file (about 1 KB) to the system partition of the original Windows OS before WinToUSB cloning Windows to a USB drive. Unfortunately, your Windows system partition has no space to create this file. In this case, you need to delete some files from the system partition to get enough space.

Reference:

What are system partitions and boot partitions:
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_...tions.html
Thank you Admin for the info.
It allowed me to kill two birds with one stone.

A) The system partition had 0 free space (of 100MB).
I was surprised that you needed to write in it. So I wondered how many other apps do the same. It looked like a bad idea to delete anything without knowing the details.
So I opted for a different approach. I resized the partition.

- First cloned the disk with Acronis True Image 2016
- Using the cloned disk I resized the partitions using EaseUs Partition Master, shrinking the boot partition so as to have some free space to enlarge the system partition.
After doing this I could clone without errors

B) During March I was unable to install the cumulative march update for windows 10 pro.
The update proceeded until 94% then rolled back stating that it could not finish with a vague error code.
This was repeated every two or three days.
As soon as I have enlarged the system partition I guessed that it could also be the reason of the failed update. So I retried the update immediately and this time it finished.
At the end the system partition was 35KB bigger than the original 100MB.
The error message was totally misleading and I found the solution as a collateral benefit of your hint.

Thanks again and regards
(04-12-2018, 07:45 AM)Claudi0 Wrote: Thank you Admin for the info.
It allowed me to kill two birds with one stone.

A) The system partition had 0 free space (of 100MB).
I was surprised that you needed to write in it. So I wondered how many other apps do the same. It looked like a bad idea to delete anything without knowing the details.
So I opted for a different approach. I resized the partition.

- First cloned the disk with Acronis True Image 2016
- Using the cloned disk I resized the partitions using EaseUs Partition Master, shrinking the boot partition so as to have some free space to enlarge the system partition.
After doing this I could clone without errors

B) During March I was unable to install the cumulative march update for windows 10 pro.
The update proceeded until 94% then rolled back stating that it could not finish with a vague error code.
This was repeated every two or three days.
As soon as I have enlarged the system partition I guessed that it could also be the reason of the failed update. So I retried the update immediately and this time it finished.
At the end the system partition was 35KB bigger than the original 100MB.
The error message was totally misleading and I found the solution as a collateral benefit of your hint.

Thanks again and regards

I am only too glad to be able to help you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.