Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended and minimum 4k speed for an USB Windows to Go
Hi! This is my first post and I made my due diligence searching the forums but I couldn't find anything related so I'd like to ask for your wisdom.

There's a post made as a resource posted from roughly a year ago ( https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/resour...acted.html ) talking about how 4k sector read/write speeds are quite important when choosing a USB memory stick to be used as a Windows to Go installation. But there's no mention as to what would be considered a good speed (going outside the certified devices route here...).

For example, I found one that had a decent sequential performance (in the 200 MB/s range) but its 4k speeds were barely 0.1-0.2 MB/s.

So my question is what would be good enough and what would be preferable or desirable?

I could always go the SSD way, but if possible and with a constraint budget I'd rather have a small footprint device I could carry with me all day.

Thanks anyway for your time and for reading me.
(06-28-2018, 07:40 AM)KaoDome Wrote: Hi! This is my first post and I made my due diligence searching the forums but I couldn't find anything related so I'd like to ask for your wisdom.

There's a post made as a resource posted from roughly a year ago ( https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/resour...acted.html ) talking about how 4k sector read/write speeds are quite important when choosing a USB memory stick to be used as a Windows to Go installation. But there's no mention as to what would be considered a good speed (going outside the certified devices route here...).

For example, I found one that had a decent sequential performance (in the 200 MB/s range) but its 4k speeds were barely 0.1-0.2 MB/s.

So my question is what would be good enough and what would be preferable or desirable?

I could always go the SSD way, but if possible and with a constraint budget I'd rather have a small footprint device I could carry with me all day.

Thanks anyway for your time and for reading me.

I'm sorry, we don't have a recommended minimum 4K read and write speeds. The USB flash drives we use to test has at least 5MB/s 4K random read/write speeds, and these devices can ensure Windows runs smoothly.

If your goal is easy to carry, consider purchasing Windows To Go Certified DriveFlash Voyager GTX USB Drive,  SanDisk Extreme CZ80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive or SanDisk Extreme PRO CZ88 USB 3.0 Flash Drive. Otherwise, buying an external SSD USB drive is a good choice.