Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
win 8.1 install problems
trying to install win 8.1 pro on usb samsung drive, windows installer sees the drive as usb and will not let me install to it,,anyone with ideas
(05-02-2014, 03:06 AM)uita Wrote: trying to install win 8.1 pro on usb samsung drive, windows installer sees the drive as usb and will not let me install to it,,anyone with ideas

I had similar problems as this. What I finally did, that worked for me, was to create two partitions on the usb drive. The System partition I set at 110 megabytes and formatted it as fat32. The boot partition was the rest of the drive and formated as NTFS.

Once I did this the utility ran just fine and wrote the correct info to the correct partitions. When it was finished I was able to hang that USB drive on three different system and using the boot manager in the bios I selected to boot from the USB.
(05-09-2014, 09:15 AM)jziggy101 Wrote:
(05-02-2014, 03:06 AM)uita Wrote: trying to install win 8.1 pro on usb samsung drive, windows installer sees the drive as usb and will not let me install to it,,anyone with ideas

I had similar problems as this. What I finally did, that worked for me, was to create two partitions on the usb drive. The System partition I set at 110 megabytes and formatted it as fat32. The boot partition was the rest of the drive and formated as NTFS.

Once I did this the utility ran just fine and wrote the correct info to the correct partitions. When it was finished I was able to hang that USB drive on three different system and using the boot manager in the bios I selected to boot from the USB.

You're right. Smile
The boot partition must be formatted as NTFS and the system partition must be formatted as FAT32/NTFS.