Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
upgrading Windows 10 build
Hi everyone:

Recently I used WintoUSB 2.0 beta to install Windows 10 Tech Preview build 9841, the process is pretty smooth.

My question right now is: does the stable 2.0 release support upgrading builds right within the external drive without going through the entire process within WintoUSB again? Like either trick Windows into think my external drive is an HDD, or actually make the external drive emulate the environment of HDD.

I wanted to upgrade to build 9926 because the UI is just too beautiful to ignore. I'm gonna wipe my current install of build 9841 and download the latest version of WintoUSB just to install build 9926.

Currently, if Windows asked to upgrade my build, and I choose it to do so, it will pop up a message saying "Windows Technical Preview cannot be installed in a flash drive."
(02-09-2015, 04:13 AM)masterfu678 Wrote: Hi everyone:

Recently I used WintoUSB 2.0 beta to install Windows 10 Tech Preview build 9841, the process is pretty smooth.

My question right now is: does the stable 2.0 release support upgrading builds right within the external drive without going through the entire process within WintoUSB again? Like either trick Windows into think my external drive is an HDD, or actually make the external drive emulate the environment of HDD.

I wanted to upgrade to build 9926 because the UI is just too beautiful to ignore. I'm gonna wipe my current install of build 9841 and download the latest version of WintoUSB just to install build 9926.

Currently, if Windows asked to upgrade my build, and I choose it to do so, it will pop up a message saying "Windows Technical Preview cannot be installed in a flash drive."

Windows 10 build 9926 can't work with WinToUSB, please look here, and I am working on it now.
(02-10-2015, 11:13 PM)admin Wrote: Windows 10 build 9926 can't work with WinToUSB, please look here, and I am working on it now.

I see, thank you for replying, I hope the next version can support build 9926 and have a feature similar to what I described
Windows 10 build 9926 can work with WinToUSB now, please try this.
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/downloa....0_VHD.exe
(02-13-2015, 05:12 PM)admin Wrote: Windows 10 build 9926 can work with WinToUSB now, please try this.

thanks, but the thing is, can I upgrade to a new build using this version like on a normal HDD in the future? or do I have to wait for you to come out with a new version when that new build of Win 10 comes out?
(02-15-2015, 02:12 PM)masterfu678 Wrote:
(02-13-2015, 05:12 PM)admin Wrote: Windows 10 build 9926 can work with WinToUSB now, please try this.

thanks, but the thing is, can I upgrade to a new build using this version like on a normal HDD in the future? or do I have to wait for you to come out with a new version when that new build of Win 10 comes out?

Update cannot work when Windows installed on a USB flash drive, but VHD installation mode can fix this problem, so please try the vhd version.
This feature will also be available in the new version.
(02-15-2015, 11:32 PM)admin Wrote: Update cannot work when Windows installed on a USB flash drive, but VHD installation mode can fix this problem, so please try the vhd version.

ah I see, that means it is possible with the VHD version of WintoUSB

downloading it right now.

btw, does VHD stands for "Virtual Hard Drive"? Just a guess.

Right now, installing the new build of Windows means wiping my external hard drive clean and do the entire process all over again with the new VHD version. my laptop actually depends on WintoUSB's Windows installation now since the SSD it came with had failed on me a while back. I want to use the new version but I don't want to lose too much data. Maybe a feature that can restore Windows from a Ghost image(or better method), perhaps?

thank you for all the hard work.
(02-16-2015, 03:57 AM)masterfu678 Wrote:
(02-15-2015, 11:32 PM)admin Wrote: Update cannot work when Windows installed on a USB flash drive, but VHD installation mode can fix this problem, so please try the vhd version.

ah I see, that means it is possible with the VHD version of WintoUSB

downloading it right now.

btw, does VHD stands for "Virtual Hard Drive"? Just a guess.

Right now, installing the new build of Windows means wiping my external hard drive clean and do the entire process all over again with the new VHD version. my laptop actually depends on WintoUSB's Windows installation now since the SSD it came with had failed on me a while back. I want to use the new version but I don't want to lose too much data. Maybe a feature that can restore Windows from a Ghost image(or better method), perhaps?

thank you for all the hard work.

restore Windows from a Ghost image(or better method)
Thanks for your advise. It is a good ideal and we'll consider it.
(02-16-2015, 09:12 PM)admin Wrote: restore Windows from a Ghost image(or better method)
Thanks for your advise. It is a good ideal and we'll consider it.

thank you for considering this advice! Big Grin
Hi,

I was running the (wintousb) Windows 10 Technical Preview but found that it would not update the builds.
So are you saying VHD solves this issue and if so how do I go about installing a wintousb VHD?

Thanks