Hasleo Software Forums

Full Version: Auto Format USB "stick" why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why does wintousb automatically format my USB sticks? I'd like to partition and format myself so I could explore and use various options. Thanks.
If you want to create a Windows To Go Workspace, you must convert the USB flash drive to MBR or GPT partition scheme. Unfortunately Windows can't do this, so you must use a third-party tool to complete the conversion, this is not so easy for some people. In addition, using a third-party tool to create the system or boot partition may be preventing Windows from starting correctly.
(12-13-2015, 12:18 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]If you want to create a Windows To Go Workspace, you must convert the USB flash drive to MBR or GPT partition scheme. Unfortunately Windows can't do this, so you must use a third-party tool to complete the conversion, this is not so easy for some people. In addition, using a third-party tool to create the system or boot partition may be preventing Windows from starting correctly.

It's quite easy to create a Windows bootable device with Bcdboot.exe but thanks for the response. Having the Legacy option would be nice for USB flash drives, that's all. Cheers.
From our tests and user feedback, VHD(X)-based Windows To Go has best compatibility when using non-certified drives (such as USB flash drive) to create Windows To Go workspace. So if you use a non-certified drive to create Windows To Go, WinToUSB will create a VHD(X)-based Windows To Go, if you use a certified drives or a USB hard drive to create Windows To Go workspace, then you can install Windows directly onto a USB drive.
Thanks for the information. I just ordered a new faster USB Flash Drive from Amazon so I will check out the VHD(X) installation.