Hasleo Software Forums

Full Version: MacBook Pro Windows ssd not showing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've retried win2usb process 4 times now trying legacy and vhd options. I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a. Samsung t3 for use on a MacBook Pro. I've initialised the efi partition as GPD 100mb in size as fat32. The second partition is the remainder size of the ssd as ntfs. The process goes through the conversion from the Windows ISo to the written Samsung ssd successfully each time.

When I reboot the MacBook Pro holding down the alt key the Samsung ssd never appears as a boot option

What to do?
Is your MacBook a Intel-based Mac? Does it support boot from a USB drive?
This link may be useful: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201663
(08-30-2016, 09:24 PM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]Is your MacBook a Intel-based Mac? Does it support boot from a USB drive?
This link may be useful: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201663

Its a 2015 top of the line MacBook Pro running 10.11.6 so I wouldnt have thought it a problem. It has USB 3 and I'm using a Samsun T3 I bought especially to try and run Windows externally
Apple says "If you're using an external USB hub with several connected USB devices, the external USB storage device you wish to start from may not be recognized, or, may need to be connected directly into one of the computers USB ports instead.  Some computer keyboards that include USB ports may not supply enough power to some external USB hard drives."

Could you tell us which partitioning tool you are using to partition this disk? Windows Disk Management tool or other third-party partitioning tool? We recommend using built-in Windows Disk Management to partition the disk.

In theory, as long as there is a FAT32 partition on a GPT disk, then the disk will appear as a EFI boot option.
(08-31-2016, 10:00 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]Apple says "If you're using an external USB hub with several connected USB devices, the external USB storage device you wish to start from may not be recognized, or, may need to be connected directly into one of the computers USB ports instead.  Some computer keyboards that include USB ports may not supply enough power to some external USB hard drives."

Could you tell us which partitioning tool you are using to partition this disk? Windows Disk Management tool or other third-party partitioning tool? We recommend using built-in Windows Disk Management to partition the disk.

In theory, as long as there is a FAT32 partition on a GPT disk, then the disk will appear as a EFI boot option.

im not using a hub. The Samsung T3 is directly to either one of the USB 3 inputs on the MacBook Pro. I've tried both.

im using the computer management program in Windows 10 to do the partitioning. 

Win2go is happy that I have an efi partition 100mb with FAT32 and also the other large partition is NTFS as per instructions. Win2Go finishes putting Windows on the t3 drive. I do all of this on Windows 10 (I've done it on two different Windows machines. One was running Windows 7 and the other Windows 10. There was no difference in outcome)

On putting the drive back into the usb3 slot on the MacBook Pro 2015 and holding Alt/option key I only see the internal mac drive as a boot option no matter what I do..
If you have anther EFI-based Windows PC, we recommend that you try Samsung t3 on that PC to check whether it can be detected. And if you have anther USB flash drive, we recommend using it to create a Windows To Go drive then try it on the MacBook Pro.
(09-01-2016, 10:00 AM)littlemart Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-31-2016, 10:00 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]Apple says "If you're using an external USB hub with several connected USB devices, the external USB storage device you wish to start from may not be recognized, or, may need to be connected directly into one of the computers USB ports instead.  Some computer keyboards that include USB ports may not supply enough power to some external USB hard drives."

im not using a hub. The Samsung T3 is directly to either one of the USB 3 inputs on the MacBook Pro. I've tried both.

im using the computer management program in Windows 10 to do the partitioning. 

Win2go is happy that I have an efi partition 100mb with FAT32 and also the other large partition is NTFS as per instructions. Win2Go finishes putting Windows on the t3 drive. I do all of this on Windows 10 (I've done it on two different Windows machines. One was running Windows 7 and the other Windows 10. There was no difference in outcome)

On putting the drive back into the usb3 slot on the MacBook Pro 2015 and holding Alt/option key I only see the internal mac drive as a boot option no matter what I do..

It may be that there is not enough power on the USB port for the USB drive to work, so we recommend that you add an external power supply to the external hard drive and try again.