Hasleo Software Forums

Full Version: External USB Install Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does the external USB drive have to be completely empty and formatted in order to install Windows 10 on it?

I have a 4TB external USB drive with lot of music files on it. I intend to create a small partition on this drive and install Win 10 on that. Let me know how to do that. I can clone or use an iso for install. Thanks.
(12-29-2017, 05:05 AM)sig8 Wrote: [ -> ]Does the external USB drive have to be completely empty and formatted in order to install Windows 10 on it?

I have a 4TB external USB drive with lot of music files on it. I intend to create a small partition on this drive and install Win 10 on that. Let me know how to do that. I can clone or use an iso for install. Thanks.

A 4T disk typically use the GPT partitioning scheme, and the GPT disk can only boot UEFI-based computers, so please make sure your computer is a UEFI-based computer. When a UEFI-based computer is powered up, the UEFI firmware will launche the UEFI bootloader from the EFI system partition (ESP), the ESP must be a FAT32 partition, so you have to create a ESP on the GPT disk. WinToUSB does not require completely empty disk, but the partition layout on the disk must meet the requirements. Please refer to step 2 of the user's Guide for more information:
https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en...o-USB.html
(12-29-2017, 11:42 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2017, 05:05 AM)sig8 Wrote: [ -> ]Does the external USB drive have to be completely empty and formatted in order to install Windows 10 on it?

A 4T disk typically use the GPT partitioning scheme, and the GPT disk can only boot UEFI-based computers, so please make sure your computer is a UEFI-based computer. When a UEFI-based computer is powered up, the UEFI firmware will launche the UEFI bootloader from the EFI system partition (ESP), the ESP must be a FAT32 partition, so you have to create a ESP on the GPT disk. WinToUSB does not require completely empty disk, but the partition layout on the disk must meet the requirements. Please refer to step 2 of the user's Guide for more information:

I was able to create the bootable external USB drive as suggested. The motherboard which had the WIndows install was a fairly new Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5 TH. I took the USB drive and connected it to an older computer with a motherboard Intel DN2800MT Marshalltown Mini-ITX, and it would not boot. Please let me know the reason. Thanks.
(12-30-2017, 11:16 AM)sig8 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2017, 11:42 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]

I was able to create the bootable external USB drive as suggested. The motherboard which had the WIndows install was a fairly new Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170X-UD5 TH. I took the USB drive and connected it to an older computer with a motherboard Intel DN2800MT Marshalltown Mini-ITX, and it would not boot. Please let me know the reason. Thanks.

Happy new year! As I have said above, the GPT disk can only boot UEFI-based computers, so please make sure the computer that you want to boot is a UEFI based computer.