Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandisk Extreme USB stick - now removable not fixed
WARNING: The Sandisk Extreme disk as recommended is now set up as a removable disk not a fixed disk, and so cannot be used for EUFI.    You can still use it in legacy BIOS mode.

I was sceptical of its speed claims, but on a website, it said if you are copying from/to an SSD drive via USB3, then you can get close to the maximum speeds claimed 100 MB(ytes)/s write, and 245 MB/S read.

I tried it on my laptop which has an ssd as main drive, and I got 98.5 MB/s read and 210 MB/S read i.e. pretty close to claims.  The USB does get pretty warm though - I wonder about long term usage of this.
I purchased the Sandisk Extreme 64 and had no problem installing Windows 8.1 BUT the USB is not visible as a fixed drive to the computer. Now I am trying to redo the USB using Legacy but Legacy is greyed out so not a option. What do you suggest?

I am using WintoUsb version 2.3 on Windows 7 installed on a mac
(09-11-2015, 10:08 AM)tugg Wrote: I purchased the Sandisk Extreme 64 and had no problem installing Windows 8.1 BUT the USB is not visible as a fixed drive to the computer.  Now I am trying to redo the USB using Legacy but Legacy is greyed out so not a option.  What do you suggest?  

I am using WintoUsb version 2.3 on Windows 7 installed on a mac

Are you sure your Sandisk Extreme is a fixed drive? The legacy mode is available whether the device is a removable drive or a fixed drive.
No it is not a fixed drive which I believe is the problem.  Legacy is still greyed out. 

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-09-11%20at%208.06.47%20AM-S.jpg]
(09-12-2015, 01:13 AM)tugg Wrote: No it is not a fixed drive which I believe is the problem.  Legacy is still greyed out. 

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-09-11%20at%208.06.47%20AM-S.jpg]

From our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create Windows To Go, and the VHD mode has best compatibility, so we have disabled the legacy mode in version 2.3. 
Thank you for your quick reply. So is the Sandisk Extreme 64 no longer recommended for creating Windows to Go. Should I be shopping for a fixed drive USB?
(09-12-2015, 01:40 AM)tugg Wrote: Thank you for your quick reply.  So is the Sandisk Extreme 64 no longer recommended for creating Windows to Go.  Should I be shopping for a fixed drive USB?

No, you don't need to buy another drive, you can create a VHD-based Windows To Go Workspace using Sandisk Extreme, and it will work properly.
Thank you. I will explore that.
(09-12-2015, 01:50 AM)admin Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 01:40 AM)tugg Wrote: Thank you for your quick reply.  So is the Sandisk Extreme 64 no longer recommended for creating Windows to Go.  Should I be shopping for a fixed drive USB?

No, you don't need to buy another drive, you can create a VHD-based Windows To Go Workspace using Sandisk Extreme, and it will work properly.

With this flash drive, using the VHD method I'm getting a severe performance degradation. Is there any way to mitigate this issue?
(10-01-2015, 02:27 AM)SuperJMN Wrote:
(09-12-2015, 01:50 AM)admin Wrote:

With this flash drive, using the VHD method I'm getting a severe performance degradation. Is there any way to mitigate this issue?

Please perform a full format on the device before creating Windows To Go.