Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The boot Configuration Data file is missing
Hi, I've been using a 128gb USB stick as my main HD for about a year as my eMMC32gb sucks.

but now I cant boot getting the following error
is there anything I can do without a Format and fresh install??

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot configuration Data file is missing some required information"

File \BCD
error 0xc000000d

Youll need to use recory tools etc etc"

any help please. ....Sorry using Windows 10 Home 1607
(07-17-2018, 09:52 PM)Guy_286 Wrote: Hi, I've been using a 128gb USB stick as my main HD for about a year as my eMMC32gb sucks.

but now I cant boot getting the following error
is there anything I can do without a Format and fresh install??

"Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The Boot configuration Data file is missing some required information"

File \BCD
error 0xc000000d

Youll need to use recory tools etc etc"

any help please. ....Sorry using Windows 10 Home 1607

Is the portable Windows 10 USB stick legacy or VHD(X) mode? If it is VHD(X)-based portable Windows, you just need to copy the VHD(X) file form the USB stick to another disk, and then use WinToUSB to create portable Windows directly from the VHD(X) file.
Thanks for the reply but it's not a Virtual HD it's a full NTFS with the FAT32 bit
But BCD becoming corrupt seems to be a common Windows 10 problem but Because it's installed on USB and GPT and not mbr I can't find a way to fix it.

I think it must be possible to fix it with Diskpart because I got it to boot again but this messed up the BCD of my internal eMMC32gb BCD so I had to restore it. There probably is a correct procedure of commands that would fix this but beyond my knowledge.
(07-18-2018, 11:59 PM)Guy_286 Wrote: Thanks for the reply but it's not a Virtual HD it's a full NTFS with the FAT32 bit
But BCD becoming corrupt seems to be a common Windows 10 problem but Because it's installed on USB and GPT and not mbr I can't find a way to fix it.

I think it must be possible to fix it with Diskpart because I got it to boot again but this messed up the BCD of my internal eMMC32gb BCD so I had to restore it. There probably is a correct procedure of commands that would fix this but beyond my knowledge.

You should be able to use BCDboot to fix the BCD file, but before you do this, you should assign a letter for both the system and boot partitions, which can be done by DiskPart.
https://www.howtogeek.com/197296/how-to-...e-letters/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...techref-di