Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8 has no drivers installed after installing to USB stick?
I've tried twice now to install a legit disc of Windows 8 to USB. I'm having a few problems:

1) It's slow and laggy. I think this is because it's a cheap USB stick. I'll try one of the SanDisk Go/Pro sticks instead next.

2) This is the big one - Windows is installing strangely with no drivers for any of my basic hardware (eg. Asus mobile, etc) so half my hard drives don't show up and my system is pretty crippled. This has been the case with two tries now. I have been able to install networking manually from my mobile drivers. When I tried installing the whole pack of mono drivers from the disc it gave me a BSOD so I'm wary to do that again.

Is this normal? I've never seen a windows installation that does this. If I go in Device Manager I have around 20 "Base System Device" entries. If I try to update drivers for these entries by searching the windows cd it says nothing found. It just searches seemingly endlessly if I let it try updating them from the internet.

Why might this be happening?

3) I am wondering once I get it up and running - will I be able to use Windows update to update it just like any other installation? Or might updating Windows risk "breaking" the portable installation?

Thanks!
I tried installing the drivers one at a time - Intel chipset driver got rid of those device manager problems.

Then I installed the USB 3.1 gen 2 driver and I get "inaccessible boot device" BSOD on restart. I don't know what to make of this. Maybe it's because it's a gen 1 usb 3 stick? I have tried moving it to a gen 1 port and it now boots again though still laggy like hell.

I ordered the SanDisk pro extreme stick but I'm not sure if there's still some other problem. Maybe just needs to be faster now... Seems to be doing okay on a gen 1 usb3 port with manual driver installation...
Well I tried installing windows normally to a ssd and it had no drivers too so it looks like this is just normal.

Never mind.
for an operating system boot drive, the 4K random read/write speeds are very important. Usually the 4K read/write speeds of the SD cards are always slow, so these drives are not suitable for installing Windows.

For these reasons, we highly recommend using a Windows To Go Certified Drives or an external hard drive to create portable Windows. For Non-certified USB flash drive, we recommend to you to buy a SanDisk Extreme CZ80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive or a SanDisk Extreme PRO CZ88 USB 3.0 Flash Drive, we've done a lot of testing, they're fast enough to run Windows smoothly and more cheaper.