Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which drive should I encrypt?
Hello,
I just bought:
WintoUSB
Bitlock Anywhere.

I was able to successfully use WintoUSB ad install Windows 10 Pro on a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB Thumb Drive.
I would like to install Bitlock and Encrypt the Windows on the USB.
When I start Bitlock Anywhere it shows the hard disk (C: My computer) and 2 removable drives D: (this contains Boot, EFI, Bootmgr) and E: (WintoUSB which contains a file Win2USB.VHDX).

Which one should I select?

Thanks
iR
(02-05-2019, 11:46 AM)irob Wrote: Hello,
I just bought:
WintoUSB
Bitlock Anywhere.

I was able to successfully use WintoUSB ad install Windows 10 Pro on a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB Thumb Drive.
When I start Bitlock Anywhere it shows the hard disk (C: My computer) and 2 removable drives D: (this contains Boot, EFI, Bootmgr) and E: (WintoUSB which contains a file Win2USB.VHDX).

Thanks
iR

In this case, you should encrypt the boot partition on the Win2USB.VHDX file. Please insert this USB drive into a computer that is running Windows, attach the VHD(X) file on the USB drive in Disk Management, then use Bitlocker drive encryption to encrypt the boot partition on the mounted VHD(X) disk. Here are the detailed steps:
1. Open Disk Management, right click 'Disk Management', then click 'Attach VHD'.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=181]

2. Select the VHDX file on the USB drive, then click 'OK'.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=182]

3. The virtual disk is mounted as I:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=183]

4. Use Hasleo BitLocker Anywhere to encrypt the I:.

Reference:

What are system partitions and boot partitions:
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_...tions.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ops,
I encrypted it.
When I reboot the USB drive I insert the password and then is goes into Automatic Repair which takes long time.
Is this normal?
Thanks
iR
This is not normal, make sure that the VHDX is unmounted correctly after the encryption is complete. Also, turn off the computer correctly after using W2G.
(02-06-2019, 12:03 AM)admin Wrote:
(02-05-2019, 11:46 AM)irob Wrote: Hello,
I just bought:
WintoUSB
Bitlock Anywhere.

Thanks
iR

In this case, you should encrypt the boot partition on the Win2USB.VHDX file. Please insert this USB drive into a computer that is running Windows, attach the VHD(X) file on the USB drive in Disk Management, then use Bitlocker drive encryption to encrypt the boot partition on the mounted VHD(X) disk. Here are the detailed steps:
1. Open Disk Management, right click 'Disk Management', then click 'Attach VHD'.

Reference:

I GET THAT THE FILE/DRIVE IS ALREADY ENCRYPTED??????
What would the password be then?
I want to add that it is from an image (ISO) of my Windows on computer.
I'm very sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean, can you explain it?
I was getting an error but I was able to figure this out.
I installed Windows 10 Pro on the USB.Windows Pro automatically starts its own Bitlocker Encryption process even if I did not started it.
So I had to decrypt and turn off the Encryption Process by doing:
manage-bde - off c:
This decrypted the USB drive. Then I was able to follow your instructions

iR

Hello,
I just bought:
WintoUSB
Bitlock Anywhere.

Thanks
iR
[/quote]

Reference:

[/quote]
(08-10-2019, 07:56 AM)irob Wrote: I was getting an error but I was able to figure this out.
I installed Windows 10 Pro on the USB.Windows Pro automatically starts its own Bitlocker Encryption process even if I did not started it.
So I had to decrypt and turn off the Encryption Process by doing:
manage-bde - off c:
This decrypted the USB drive.  Then I was able to follow your instructions

iR

Hello,
I just bought:
WintoUSB
Bitlock Anywhere.

Thanks
iR

Reference:

[/quote]
[/quote]

As we said above, you need to attach this VHDX disk on another computer running Windows, and then encrypt the Windows partition on the VHDX disk.