Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to dual boot with Linux?
Hi!

I have an SSD with Arch Linux installed, and I can boot from it just plugging it to an USB and selecting it on the boot menu. I would like to install Windows 10 alongside Linux, to be able to boot from any of them.

I made a NTFS partition on the SSD and tried to install Windows on it. However, I got the typical error “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port”.

Is it possible to install Windows in that partition with WinToUSB? Will it break my Linux installation?

Thanks in advance! ^^
(08-24-2020, 12:07 AM)0ravla Wrote: Hi!

I have an SSD with Arch Linux installed, and I can boot from it just plugging it to an USB and selecting it on the boot menu. I would like to install Windows 10 alongside Linux, to be able to boot from any of them.

I made a NTFS partition on the SSD and tried to install Windows on it. However, I got the typical error “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Setup does not support configuration of or installation to disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port”.

Is it possible to install Windows in that partition with WinToUSB? Will it break my Linux installation?

Thanks in advance! ^^

In theory, you can install Windows and Linux to the same USB drive. If you install Linux first and then Windows, you may need to manually change the grub configuration to start Windows through the GRUB menu. And you'd better backup GRUB first, because installing Windows may cause GRUB corruption.
I had a similar situation. You need to understand that Windows and Linux have different program codes and they do not interact with each other. The only way is to copy all the necessary information, remove Linux and install Windows.