Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conversion of MBR to GPT possible?
Hi, is it possible to change an existing Win To Go USB installation from MBR to GPT? I have a new laptop which does not have support for MBR boot anymore.
Thank you.
(02-02-2022, 07:41 AM)schlangz Wrote: Hi, is it possible to change an existing Win To Go USB installation from MBR to GPT? I have a new laptop which does not have support for MBR boot anymore.
Thank you.

I'm sorry, as far as we know some third-party disk partition software can convert disk form MBR to GPT, but we have never tested whether they can convert Windows To Go USB drive from MBR to GPT and ensure that Windows can boot normally.
Heartbreaking. Any chance not to re-install Windows from scratch, resp. any chance of re-creating the boot sector of the USB drive? Thank you
(02-03-2022, 09:55 PM)schlangz Wrote: Heartbreaking. Any chance not to re-install Windows from scratch, resp. any chance of re-creating the boot sector of the USB drive? Thank you

The easiest way is to clone this USB drive to another USB drive using WinToUSB and choose a partition scheme that supports UEFI booting when cloning.
(02-03-2022, 10:46 PM)admin Wrote: The easiest way is to clone this USB drive to another USB drive using WinToUSB and choose a partition scheme that supports UEFI booting when cloning.

thanks, this was exactly what I needed!!