Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random BSOD and rebooting when shutting down PC
So I recently upgraded to v2.1 beta and installed Win10 build 9926.

this isn't really a major problem, but still is a bother. when I leave my computer alone with no actions being done, I can hear the sound windows make when you are connecting a hardware (such as USB flash drive, mouse etc), followed by the sound of disconnecting, after a few repeats, my computer goes to the sad faced BSOD with the message INACCESSBLE BOOT DEVICE. this only happens when I leave my computer alone, and by chance, sometimes nothing will happen.

another thing that I found is that after I turned my computer off(shut down command from start menu), my external hard drive boots up my computer again without me pressing the power button on my computer. of course, this would be solved with me cutting off the power supply to my PC. If that didn't solve it, then my computer would probably be possessed by a cyber demon, lol, just kidding. But this is a very strange bug.

here is my external drive's brand and my laptop model so you can get the same kind of external drive to replicate these bugs, or even get the same laptop

Toshiba Satelite P755
Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 2TB

It is a plug in and play drive, no ac adapters required, with USB 3.0, perfect drive for WintoUSB, at least to me.
I've found that USB enclosures can be the root of all evil. And this sounds like one "going to sleep" or "spinning down"? Their behavior can be strange depending on type of drive contained, HDD or SSD. And can even make a contained SSD look like a HDD, to Windows 8.1 at least. A couple of ORICO types (2588US3 & 2595US3) have given me much trouble. They may do fine for NAS, but not containing a running OS drive. So far the Tek Republic TUE-300 seems to avoid any disconnect problems, but Windows 8.1 sees a contained SSD as a HDD? Ditto for the USB 2.0 Kingston SNA-DC/U. Other applications like Defraggler can read through the enclosure(s) and see what's inside correctly? There's much about these inexpensive enclosures I don't understand.

DES
(02-25-2015, 07:34 AM)des421 Wrote: I've found that USB enclosures can be the root of all evil. And this sounds like one "going to sleep" or "spinning down"? Their behavior can be strange depending on type of drive contained, HDD or SSD. And can even make a contained SSD look like a HDD, to Windows 8.1 at least. A couple of ORICO types (2588US3 & 2595US3) have given me much trouble. They may do fine for NAS, but not containing a running OS drive. So far the Tek Republic TUE-300 seems to avoid any disconnect problems, but Windows 8.1 sees a contained SSD as a HDD? Ditto for the USB 2.0 Kingston SNA-DC/U. Other applications like Defraggler can read through the enclosure(s) and see what's inside correctly? There's much about these inexpensive enclosures I don't understand.

DES

I'm all new to this so I didn't even understand a word you typed. I'll learn, I'll learn one day.
(02-24-2015, 07:28 AM)masterfu678 Wrote: So I recently upgraded to v2.1 beta and installed Win10 build 9926.

this isn't really a major problem, but still is a bother. when I leave my computer alone with no actions being done, I can hear the sound windows make when you are connecting a hardware (such as USB flash drive, mouse etc), followed by the sound of disconnecting, after a few repeats, my computer goes to the sad faced BSOD with the message INACCESSBLE BOOT DEVICE. this only happens when I leave my computer alone, and by chance, sometimes nothing will happen.

another thing that I found is that after I turned my computer off(shut down command from start menu), my external hard drive boots up my computer again without me pressing the power button on my computer. of course, this would be solved with me cutting off the power supply to my PC. If that didn't solve it, then my computer would probably be possessed by a cyber demon, lol, just kidding. But this is a very strange bug.

here is my external drive's brand and my laptop model so you can get the same kind of external drive to replicate these bugs, or even get the same laptop

Toshiba Satelite P755
Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0 2TB

It is a plug in and play drive, no ac adapters required, with USB 3.0, perfect drive for WintoUSB, at least to me.

Does there exist the same problem after installing Windows 8/8.1 to this drive? Please help me to do a test, thanks.
(02-25-2015, 11:29 AM)admin Wrote: Does there exist the same problem after installing Windows 8/8.1 to this drive? Please help me to do a test, thanks.

I can't do this test right now since I already put a lot of data on this new installation, it is already too much work just to install this. But there is no need, I already know that the first problem exists in Win8/8.1.

You do remember that before I said I have Win 10 build 9841 with WintoUSB 2.0 beta. I discovered that build of Win 10 is actually a tweaked Win 8.1. I knew it because it says so on some websites I'm downloading softwares from. The new build of 9926 is really Win 10.

The first problem exists in that build too, but I think I got around it by setting "Turn off display" and "Put computer to sleep" to "Never" in the power options, but then my laptop's display would always be on, maybe I should download a screensaver to save the lifetime of my laptop's display.

The second problem is new, it started happening after I upgraded into this new build.