Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 BSoD on boot
Hello!

I have a problem with my Windows 7 installation

After WinToUSB successfully completed the installation I have decided to boot from it, when Windows was starting the animation stopped as if Windows has fully loaded up, however after this the system blue screened with no error code and with the stop code of 0x0000007B

When trying to run safe mode, Windows seems to load all of the drivers correctly then freeze for a few seconds and throw the same blue screen

Enabling boot logging doesn't create ntbtlog.txt for some reason

I have made sure the USB stick is 2.0 and is inserted into a USB 2.0 port, and I have slipstreamed USB 3.0 drivers that worked on a regular installation
(07-27-2022, 09:16 AM)VyZi Wrote: Hello!

I have a problem with my Windows 7 installation

After WinToUSB successfully completed the installation I have decided to boot from it, when Windows was starting the animation stopped as if Windows has fully loaded up, however after this the system blue screened with no error code and with the stop code of 0x0000007B

When trying to run safe mode, Windows seems to load all of the drivers correctly then freeze for a few seconds and throw the same blue screen

Enabling boot logging doesn't create ntbtlog.txt for some reason

I have made sure the USB stick is 2.0 and is inserted into a USB 2.0 port, and I have slipstreamed USB 3.0 drivers that worked on a regular installation

If you want to run Windows 7 on a computer, you must ensure that the computer is compatible with Windows 7 (computers built in recent years are usually not compatible with Windows 7), otherwise Windows will not work properly. Are you sure your new computer is compatible with Windows 7?
(07-27-2022, 10:22 AM)admin Wrote: If you want to run Windows 7 on a computer, you must ensure that the computer is compatible with Windows 7 (computers built in recent years are usually not compatible with Windows 7), otherwise Windows will not work properly. Are you sure your new computer is compatible with Windows 7?

Yup, the computer is from 2017 and is meant to run Windows 10, however Windows 7 worked perfectly on a normal installation
(07-27-2022, 12:08 PM)VyZi Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 10:22 AM)admin Wrote: If you want to run Windows 7 on a computer, you must ensure that the computer is compatible with Windows 7 (computers built in recent years are usually not compatible with Windows 7), otherwise Windows will not work properly. Are you sure your new computer is compatible with Windows 7?

Yup, the computer is from 2017 and is meant to run Windows 10, however Windows 7 worked perfectly on a normal installation

Is the USB drive a USB flash drive or an external drive? We recommend using an external drive to create Windows 7 To Go.
(07-27-2022, 12:58 PM)admin Wrote: Is the USB drive a USB flash drive or an external drive? We recommend using an external drive to create Windows 7 To Go.

It is a flash drive, I've seen it work perfectly for others on flash drives though, but these are most likely hardware differences

There doesn't seem to be a way to check what actually causes the blue screen

If these additional information could help then the stop code is
0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I have tried the Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver trick out of curiosity with no luck

I wonder if there is any other way to get some log of the boot process maybe?
(07-27-2022, 09:39 PM)VyZi Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 12:58 PM)admin Wrote: Is the USB drive a USB flash drive or an external drive? We recommend using an external drive to create Windows 7 To Go.

It is a flash drive, I've seen it work perfectly for others on flash drives though, but these are most likely hardware differences

There doesn't seem to be a way to check what actually causes the blue screen

If these additional information could help then the stop code is
0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I have tried the Hitachi Microdrive Filter Driver trick out of curiosity with no luck

I wonder if there is any other way to get some log of the boot process maybe?

Did you install Windows 7 Home or Pro to the USB drive?

Windows 7 Home/Pro doesn't support VHD native boot, only Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise Edition support VHD native boot, if you Windows 7 is Home/Pro Edition then you will not be able to create a VHD based Windows 7 To Go on a USB flash drive. From our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode based Windows 7 To Go may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create portable Windows, and the VHD mode has best compatibility. For this reason, if you're going to create a portable Windows 7 Home/Pro, we recommend that you use an external hard drive to create it.
(07-27-2022, 10:50 PM)admin Wrote: Did you install Windows 7 Home or Pro to the USB drive?

Windows 7 Home/Pro doesn't support VHD native boot, only Windows 7 Ultimate/Enterprise Edition support VHD native boot, if you Windows 7 is Home/Pro Edition then you will not be able to create a VHD based Windows 7 To Go on a USB flash drive. From our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode based Windows 7 To Go may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create portable Windows, and the VHD mode has best compatibility. For this reason, if you're going to create a portable Windows 7 Home/Pro, we recommend that you use an external hard drive to create it.

Huh, interesting, I didn't know that, I have used Windows 7 Ultimate x64 though
(07-28-2022, 12:04 AM)VyZi Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 10:50 PM)admin Wrote: Did you install Windows 7 Home or Pro to the USB drive?

Huh, interesting, I didn't know that, I have used Windows 7 Ultimate x64 though

Please make sure you select VHD installation mode when using a USB flash drive to create Windows 7 To Go.
(07-28-2022, 12:28 AM)admin Wrote: Please make sure you select VHD installation mode when using a USB flash drive to create Windows 7 To Go.

Do you mean using a VHD instead of a ISO as a source? If yes then what would be the best way to create one, installing the ISO in a VM and then using the VHD? And out of curiosity, what difference would it make?
(07-28-2022, 09:56 PM)VyZi Wrote:
(07-28-2022, 12:28 AM)admin Wrote: Please make sure you select VHD installation mode when using a USB flash drive to create Windows 7 To Go.

Do you mean using a VHD instead of a ISO as a source? If yes then what would be the best way to create one, installing the ISO in a VM and then using the VHD? And out of curiosity, what difference would it make?

No, I mean you should choose "VHD" installation mode as shown in the picture below.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=290]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)