Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WinToUSB crashes when load Win10 (x86+x64) ISO
If you use the Microsoft Creation Tool to download a Win10 install ISO, you can choose 'both' for a Win10 x86 + x64 ISO

Structure of ISO is atypical (new for Win10)

\x86\sources\
\x64\sources\
bootmgr
etc.

If you load this ISO using WinToUSB selection field, WinToUSB immediately crashes.
Thank you for reporting this problem.
We will solve this problem as soon as possible.
(08-04-2015, 07:40 PM)SteveSi Wrote: If you use the Microsoft Creation Tool to download a Win10 install ISO, you can choose 'both' for a Win10 x86 + x64 ISO

Structure of ISO is atypical (new for Win10)

\x86\sources\
\x64\sources\
bootmgr
etc.

If you load this ISO using WinToUSB selection field, WinToUSB immediately crashes.

We have fixed the problem, please try 2.3 Beta: http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/downloa...3_Beta.exe
Beta seems to work - good job!
(08-07-2015, 04:19 AM)SteveSi Wrote: Beta seems to work - good job!

P.S. A flat-file install of Win10 to a Removable USB drive results in a non-working install (everlasting circle of spinning dots) - same as Win8.1.

If a Removable USB drive is selected, only the VHD option should be allowed.
(08-07-2015, 04:22 AM)SteveSi Wrote:
(08-07-2015, 04:19 AM)SteveSi Wrote: Beta seems to work - good job!

P.S. A flat-file install of Win10 to a Removable USB drive results in a non-working install (everlasting circle of spinning dots) - same as Win8.1.

If a Removable USB drive is selected, only the VHD option should be allowed.

Your USB flash drive is to slow,  Windows may not running smoothly.
More information please visit: http://www.easyuefi.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=91
No - it is not a problem of a slow USB drive!!!

For a 'flat-file' (not VHD) install:

I used a Lexar Jumpdrive which I can make a Removable drive or a 'Fixed-disk' drive by using the BootIt.exe utility.
So I am using exactly the same drive for each test.

If the Lexar Jumpdrive is set to be a Removable USB using BootIt.exe then Win8.1 and Win 10 will not boot to Desktop (everlasting spinning circle of dots).
However, Win7 and Win8 do work OK.

If the Lexar Jumpdrive is set to be a 'Fixed-disk' USB drive using BootIt.exe, then Win7/8/8.1/10 all work OK.

This is a known issue with Win8.1 and Win10 - will not boot from a Removable USB drive unless a VHD is used.
I have also tested with a very fast SanDisk Extreme Cruzer USB 3.0 64GB Removable USB drive - same problem. Many others have reported the same problem to me.

If installing with WinToUSB to a Removable USB drive, you should not allow Win8.1 and Win10 to do a 'flat-file' install because it does not work - only allow VHD option.
Maybe you are right, I should let VHD become the only option.
Thanks.