Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic Questions on Installing Windows 7
(05-29-2016, 01:08 AM)Tsundere-chan Wrote: Thankyou for the help.

Regarding UEFI mode/BIOS mode
By BIOS mode do you mean the 'legacy' (as my BIOS calls it)? In that case would I need to convert to W2G+VHD? Furthermore, I thought that Windows 7 does not support EFI boot.

Regarding external hdd:
I have an external hdd, but I am curious: why is it different to a usb drive? What settings/partition should I use for the external?

If I can somehow run Win7 on my laptop, I will gladly buy all your future softwares and tell my friends

Yes, the BIOS mode is called legacy mode in some BIOS. And the VHD mode is the best choice when using a non-certified drive (such as USB flash drive) to create Windows To Go.

In fact, WINDOWS 7 64-bit support EFI booting, but it doesn't support Secure Boot, so you need to disable the Secure Boot before installing, for more infomation please refer to the following links:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askc...-computer/
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186...s-7-a.html

As mentioned above, the UEFI booting requires 2 partitions (one small FAT32 partition for the EFI system partition and one NTFS partition for the boot partition), but Windows will recognize only the first partition on a usb flash drive, so we are unable to create a UEFI-based Windows To Go drive using a USB flash drive.
If you want to creating a Windows To Go drive using an external hard drive, we recommend that you covert the external hard drive to MBR partition scheme and create two partitions (the small FAT32 partition for the system partition and the big NTFS partition for the boot partition), this partition layout can boot both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers. please refer to the following picture:

[Image: 2.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Basic Questions on Installing Windows 7 - by admin - 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM