Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inaccessible Boot Device after Windows 10 Updates
I have been using Windows 7 to go for a long time from my external USB 3.0 HDD.
Some time ago I formatted and installed Windows 10 - nothing else has changed.
Windows 10 ran well and felt more performant than Windows 7.
After some automatic updates from Windows 10 I now always get the Error: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE when I try to boot from an USB 3.0 port.
USB 2.0 still works just fine.
I have always been using USB 3.0 and had really nice speed on the system - now with USB 2.0 it's quite slow.

Was anything patched in Windows 10, that makes USB 3.0 not working anymore?
Can this be fixed?

Thank you for your help!
(10-26-2016, 04:37 PM)go4e-moh Wrote: I have been using Windows 7 to go for a long time from my external USB 3.0 HDD.
Some time ago I formatted and installed Windows 10 - nothing else has changed.
Windows 10 ran well and felt more performant than Windows 7.
After some automatic updates from Windows 10 I now always get the Error: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE when I try to boot from an USB 3.0 port.
USB 2.0 still works just fine.
I have always been using USB 3.0 and had really nice speed on the system - now with USB 2.0 it's quite slow.

Was anything patched in Windows 10, that makes USB 3.0 not working anymore?
Can this be fixed?

Thank you for your help!

Maybe you can try "Windows To Go conversion" to fix it, please refer to the following link:
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/faq/en_...To-Go.html
Okay, now I tried a lot of different things.
1. I tried "Windows to Go conversion" and it didn't help.
2. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home on a new partition and it installed AND booted from USB 3.0.
3. I updated the fresh Windows 10 Home (all drivers etc. were installed automatically) => NOW it won't boot from USB 3.0 anymore.
4. I plugged the external HDD into another PC (with latest/newest hardware generation) => NOW it does boot from USB 3.0.
5. The latest version of Windows 7 is booting from USB 3.0 without problems.

USB 2.0 still works fine, but the speed is only 25%.
Do Windows 10 drivers which are installed on the system have an impact on the boot from USB 3.0? => Maybe the automatically installed drivers are not the "right" ones?
I installed Windows 10 Home with the "Legacy" mode. => Does that have an impact on such a problem? Where are the differences to the VHD modes?
I have "Legacy USB support" on active in my Bios.
My Bios is an AMI BIOS v4.6.4.

Thank you for your help!
(11-01-2016, 12:32 PM)go4e-moh Wrote: Okay, now I tried a lot of different things.
1. I tried "Windows to Go conversion" and it didn't help.
2. I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home on a new partition and it installed AND booted from USB 3.0.
3. I updated the fresh Windows 10 Home (all drivers etc. were installed automatically) => NOW it won't boot from USB 3.0 anymore.
4. I plugged the external HDD into another PC (with latest/newest hardware generation) => NOW it does boot from USB 3.0.
5. The latest version of Windows 7 is booting from USB 3.0 without problems.

USB 2.0 still works fine, but the speed is only 25%.
Do Windows 10 drivers which are installed on the system have an impact on the boot from USB 3.0? => Maybe the automatically installed drivers are not the "right" ones?
I installed Windows 10 Home with the "Legacy" mode. => Does that have an impact on such a problem? Where are the differences to the VHD modes?
I have "Legacy USB support" on active in my Bios.
My Bios is an AMI BIOS v4.6.4.

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for reporting this issue. We have never encountered such a situation before, so we need some time to reproduce and solve the problem.
My Bios is now updated to the newest version, unfortunately this didn't help.
The Bios is a classic one, not a modern UEFI and the newest version is from ~2013.

Do Windows 10 drivers which are installed on the system have an impact on the boot from USB 3.0?
=> Maybe the automatically installed drivers are not the "right" ones?

I installed Windows 10 Home with the "Legacy" mode.
=> Does that have an impact on such a problem?
=> Where are the differences to the VHD modes?

Thank you for your help!
I'm sorry, we can't reproduce the problem in our test environment. As we said above, we have never encountered a situation like this before, and we don't think VHD option will make any difference. We consider that this issue is caused by driver updates. 
And maybe there is not enough power on the USB ports for the USB drive to work, so please connect the USB storage device to an external power supply and try again.