Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Bootable Device
Dear Hasleo Team and Fellow WinToUSB Users,

I have got a rather strange problem:

I successfully installed Windows 8.1 Pro onto a Samsung Fit 128GB USB. I intend to use this as a bootable on the go Windows drive.
I installed all necessary drivers with BootCamp and got to run Windows 8.1 on my MacBook Pro 13" Late 2013 (retina).

Now to the problem: Everytime I shut down the MacBook Pro and try to boot (MBR) from the Samsung fit again I get the "no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key" message right at the startup.
BUT! when I then try to boot from the same USB drive on my iMac 27" Late 2012 (FusionDrive) I can successfully boot Windows. After shutting down from my iMac, going back to my MacBook I can boot as well on my MacBook Pro. But when I shut down on my MacBook and try to reboot I am again prompted with the "no bootable device" message. WTF?!

I am pretty clueless about what to do next. I tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 and got the same result.

Just to sum up my problem:

Boot from USB on MacBook Pro --> no bootable device

Boot from USB on iMac --> Windows boot perfectly

Boot from USB on MacBook right after iMac boot --> Windows boot perfectly

Boot from USB on MacBook again after shutting down --> no bootable device

I do not want to EFI boot (cause that doesn't work unless you shut down system integrity)
The Windows Installation does completely work on said MacBook

I am very very thankful for every advice you can give me!
I solved the problem myself.

For everybody struggling with the „no bootable device“ message:

I did actually check if the partionion was marked as active before, but not the volume. I installed Win 8.1 as VHF.
With diskpart on another Windows machine I selected the drive, the partion an the volume and marked all of them as actove. Then suddenly I was able to succesfully boot over USB.

diskpart

select disk X

select partion X

list volume

select volume X

active

For X you fill in the Number of your disk/partition or the letter odf your volume.

Hope this can help some people.

(02-22-2018, 05:59 AM)HansPeter Wrote: Dear Hasleo Team and Fellow WinToUSB Users,

I successfully installed Windows 8.1 Pro onto a Samsung Fit 128GB USB. I intend to use this as a bootable on the go Windows drive.
I installed all necessary drivers with BootCamp and got to run Windows 8.1 on my MacBook Pro 13" Late 2013 (retina).

Now to the problem: Everytime I shut down the MacBook Pro and try to boot (MBR) from the Samsung fit again I get the "no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key" message right at the startup.
BUT! when I then try to boot from the same USB drive on my iMac 27" Late 2012 (FusionDrive) I can successfully boot Windows. After shutting down from my iMac, going back to my MacBook I can boot as well on my MacBook Pro. But when I shut down on my MacBook and try to reboot I am again prompted with the "no bootable device" message. WTF?!

I am pretty clueless about what to do next. I tried reinstalling Windows 8.1 and got the same result.

I do not want to EFI boot (cause that doesn't work unless you shut down system integrity)

(02-23-2018, 04:01 AM)HansPeter Wrote: I solved the problem myself.

For everybody struggling with the „no bootable device“ message:

I did actually check if the partionion was marked as active before, but not the volume. I installed Win 8.1 as VHF.
With diskpart on another Windows machine I selected the drive, the partion an the volume and marked all of them as actove. Then suddenly I was able to succesfully boot over USB.

diskpart

select disk X

select partion X

list volume

select volume X

active

For X you fill in the Number of your disk/partition or the letter odf your volume.

Hope this can help some people.

(02-22-2018, 05:59 AM)HansPeter Wrote: Dear Hasleo Team and Fellow WinToUSB Users,

Thank you for your information. Do you mean the partition becomes inactive when the problem occurs? This is very strange, because we've set this partition as the active partition when we first the portable Windows.