Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bitlocker with Wintousb and in-use TPM chip
Hi all,

I have a laptop that I want to run a second version of Windows off a USB on occasions. However the laptop is already used with BitLocker - hence the TPM chip will be used to store the startup key for the main installation.

Can I also use bitlocker on the Wintousb Windows installation, and if so is it likely to reset the TPM configuration and thus cause problems for the main installation?

I note that Windows To Go doesn't use the TPM chip for this very reason, but I'm not sure if Winto usb will also work in the same way and thus could cause a problem for the main installation.

Thanks for any help.

Oliver.
(06-12-2018, 08:47 PM)spenol Wrote: Hi all,

I have a laptop that I want to run a second version of Windows off a USB on occasions. However the laptop is already used with BitLocker - hence the TPM chip will be used to store the startup key for the main installation.

Can I also use bitlocker on the Wintousb Windows installation, and if so is it likely to reset the TPM configuration and thus cause problems for the main installation?

I note that Windows To Go doesn't use the TPM chip for this very reason, but I'm not sure if Winto usb will also work in the same way and thus could cause a problem for the main installation.

Thanks for any help.

Oliver.

I'm sorry, WinToUSB does not currently support the creation of a BitLocker-encrypted Windows To Go drive, and you need to manually encrypt the Windows partition once the creation is complete, or use Hasleo BitLocker Anywhere to encrypt the w2g drive according to the following guidelines:
https://www.easyuefi.com/bitlocker-anywh...drive.html

The removable drive needs to roam on a different computer, so the TPM chip will not be used when encrypting a removable drive with BitLocker.