Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative for TRIM
I bough a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB Stick which I use with WinToGo and Bitlocker Encryption. Worked very fast for one month, until the whole system slowed down. It seems that the Stick does not support TRIM. Is there any software alternative that I can use?
(08-08-2018, 04:57 PM)n3s6 Wrote: I bough a Sandisk Extreme Pro USB Stick which I use with WinToGo and Bitlocker Encryption. Worked very fast for one month, until the whole system slowed down. It seems that the Stick does not support TRIM. Is there any software alternative that I can use?

Please run the command "fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify" check to see if the trim is turned on for the USB drive? If you see DisableDeleteNotify = 0, then TRIM is enabled. 
The command lists:
Code:
NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0  (Disabled)
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0  (Disabled)

However, the drive is getting slower and slower. And the above setting IMHO does only reflect the general Windows behaviour but does not necessarily judge whether the drive itself can handle the command.
Moreover, I tried the trimcheck utility which also indicates that TRIM is not working:
Code:
CONCLUSION: TRIM appears to be NOT WORKING (or has not kicked in yet).
Tried multiple times...
(08-09-2018, 07:40 PM)n3s6 Wrote: The command lists:

Code:
NTFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0  (Disabled)
ReFS DisableDeleteNotify = 0  (Disabled)

However, the drive is getting slower and slower. And the above setting IMHO does only reflect the general Windows behaviour but does not necessarily judge whether the drive itself can handle the command.
Moreover, I tried the trimcheck utility which also indicates that TRIM is not working:

Code:
CONCLUSION: TRIM appears to be NOT WORKING (or has not kicked in yet).
Tried multiple times...

Is the Windows To Go USB drive a VHD(X) based Windows To Go USB drive? If so, copy the VHD (X) file to another location, fully format the USB drive, and then recreate the Windows To Go drive from the VHD(X) to see  to see whether it makes any difference. 
Copying the to another location and full-format the drive helped a lot.
However, I need to redo this procedure every month!

Really, is there no other solution out there?

This is really disappointing. The stick is unusable as OS. You should clearly state this on your webpage.
Don't get me wrong on this, you certainly did a great job with this software. However, if there are incompatible devices or with performance issues by design esp. TRIM-compatibilty, this should be clearly mentioned. Now I bought software and hardware which has no use for me at all.
(09-29-2018, 04:02 PM)n3s6 Wrote: Copying the to another location and full-format the drive helped a lot.
However, I need to redo this procedure every month!

Really, is there no other solution out there?

This is really disappointing. The stick is unusable as OS. You should clearly state this on your webpage.
Don't get me wrong on this, you certainly did a great job with this software. However, if there are incompatible devices or with performance issues by design esp. TRIM-compatibilty, this should be clearly mentioned. Now I bought software and hardware which has no use for me at all.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience we have caused. Please give us some time and we will investigate further.