Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage needed for WinToUSB
Hi guys,

I'm looking to just install a Windows 10 Home edition on a USB Thumb Drive. I used a 16GB USB Thumb Drive but got the error that it doesn't have enough storage, the usable storage on the drive is 15.1GB though. In this case how much storage do I need on the USB Thumb Drive to just install a Windows 10 Home edition? 32GB?
(07-24-2019, 01:06 PM)ItzMe Wrote: Hi guys,

I'm looking to just install a Windows 10 Home edition on a USB Thumb Drive. I used a 16GB USB Thumb Drive but got the error that it doesn't have enough storage, the usable storage on the drive is 15.1GB though. In this case how much storage do I need on the USB Thumb Drive to just install a Windows 10 Home edition? 32GB?

WinToUSB calculates the required storage space based on the information inside the Windows 10 installation ISO, and reserves some space to ensure that Windows can run smoothly, Windows 10 usually requires a 32G USB drive.

BTW:
For an operating system boot drive, 4K random read/write speeds are very important. Usually the 4K read/write speeds of the common USB flash drives are always slow, so these drives are not suitable for creating a portable Windows. We highly recommend using a Windows To Go Certified Drives or an external hard drive. For Non-certified USB flash drive, we recommend you to buy a Corsair Flash Voyager GTX Flash Drive or a SanDisk Extreme PRO CZ88 USB 3.0 Flash Drive, we've done a lot of testing, it is fast enough to run Windows smoothly and more cheaper. If you want small size and high performance, Windows To Go Certified Drives or Corsair Flash Voyager GTX Flash Drive are the best choice.