Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enabling Virtualisation (within Windows)
Hi there - I'm using a Mac Pro which I can dual-boot into either OS-X or Windows 10.  The booting bit all works fine...

The problem here is that I need to enable Virtualisation which can only be enabled from within a machine's BIOS/UEFI.  But unfortunately, Macs don't allow access to it - not even when running Windows  Sad

Within OS-X you can usually change BIOS/UEFI settings by pressing certain keys during bootup and I've successfully enabled Virtualisation - BUT - it only seems to enable it for OS-X.  If I reboot into Windows, Virtualisation is still disabled.

Is this something that EasyUEFI could help with?
(08-12-2020, 08:46 PM)johne53 Wrote: Within OS-X you can usually change BIOS/UEFI settings by pressing certain keys during bootup and I've successfully enabled Virtualisation - BUT - it only seems to enable it for OS-X.  If I reboot into Windows, Virtualisation is still disabled. 

In case anyone else needs this I've had a minor breakthrough this morning (and actually, the above isn't entirely true...)

When I installed Windows 10 on my Mac Pro, it set itself up as the default OS - BUT - it seems that when Windows does this, it somehow boots up without Virtualisation enabled (don't ask me why - but it does...) To enable Virtualisation, you need to boot into MacOS first - and then select restart (without powering down). Windows will then boot up with Virtualisation still enabled.

The good news is that the Virtualisation setting will happily survive a Restart and a Sleep - though unfortunately it won't survive a power down. After powering up next time, I need to go through the same rigmarole again.

I'm guessing this is some kinda weird-ism with the Mac hardware. Sad
Thank you for your interest in our product. I'm very sorry, EasyUEFI can't help you enable virtualization support on your Mac computer. It is just a tool for managing boot options and ESP partitions.