WinToHDD can help you to clone your current Windows OS installation (Windows vista or later) to another disk (HDD/SSD).
As its name implies, the system clone means to make an exact copy of the original operating system to another storage device such as a hard disk drive (HDD) or a solid state drive (SSD).
It not only copies the operating system files, but also the installed applications and other custom settings, so you don't need to reinstall the applications and reconfigure the operating system after cloning.
Using WinToHDD to clone your current Windows OS installation to another disk:
- Click to open the WinToHDD installation file. Follow the steps in the setup dialogs. You'll have the option to specify where to install WinToHDD.
- Please use the following guidelines to prepare the partitions on the destination hard disk drive.
- Booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers: Covert the hard disk drive to MBR partition scheme then create the system and boot partitions. The system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- Booting BIOS-based computers: Covert the hard disk drive to MBR partition scheme and create the system and boot partitions. The system partition can be FAT32 or NTFS format and the boot partition must be NTFS format. The system partition and boot partition can be the same partition.
- Booting UEFI-based computers: Covert the hard disk drive to GPT partition scheme and create the EFI system partition (ESP) and boot partition. The EFI system partition must be FAT32 format and the boot partition must be NTFS format.
- The destination boot partition must be 20% larger than the used space on source boot partition.
- If the destination system partition is FAT32 format, then it must be greater than or equal to 40 MB and less than or equal to 32 GB.
- Sector by sector clone option enables you to clone all sectors from source boot partition to destination boot partition.
- Run WinToHDD as administrator, then click the button.
- You will see the system information. Click "Next".
- Select the destination disk in the drop-down list, then select the boot partition and system partition from the partition list, the selected partitions will be marked as red.
- Click "Next". After clicking "Next", a pop-up will appear asking you if you want to build a WinPE image to continue. Click "Yes".
- After successfully builded the WinPE image, WinToHDD will prompt you to reboot the computer, click "Yes" button to allow WinToHDD to reboot your computer.
- It takes some time to clone. After successfully cloned restart the computer and change BIOS to boot from your hard disk drive.
Follow these simple steps, you can migrate Windows OS to hard disk drive with WinToHDD easily.