Best Windows To Go Maker to create portable Windows 10/8.1/8/7!
WinToUSB is the best free Windows To Go
Maker that allows you to install and run Windows operating system on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive, using an ISO image or CD/DVD drive as the source of installation. Starting from version 2.0, you can clone current Windows OS installation (Windows 7 or later) to a USB drive as a Windows To Go Workspace. WinToUSB also supports creating a bootable WinPE USB drive, it can help you transfer the contents of WinPE to a USB drive and make the drive bootable.
WinToUSB's key features include:
- Easy-to-use wizard interface that provides step-by-step instructions for creating a Windows To Go USB drive.
- Creation of Windows To Go from an ISO image file or CD/DVD drive.
- Clone an existing Windows OS (Windows 7 or later) to a USB Drive as a Windows To Go Workspace.
- Use of a Non-Enterprise Edition of Windows 10/8.1/8/7 to create Windows To Go Workspace.
- Creation of Windows To Go on Non-Certified Windows To Go USB Drive.
- Windows 7 is not completely portable. You may have driver problems when booting on different computers, so highly recommend using Windows 10/8.1/8 to create portable Windows.
- Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, so Windows 7 will have to be booted from a USB 2.0 port.
- The common USB flash drives are very slow. It takes a long time to install and run Windows from a common USB flash drive, highly recommend using a USB hard disk, a Windows To Go Certified Drives or a SanDisk Extreme CZ80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive to create portable Windows.
- Windows To Go drives can be booted on different computers, so you can carry it to anywhere and use it on any computer.
- You need to be an administrator on the computer you are installing the WinToUSB on.
Get It Now
The WinToUSB V2.4 comes in three editions: Free, Professional and Enterprise.
Minor version upgrades (for example from version 2.0 to version 2.1) are free.
Major version upgrades (for example from version 2.x to version 3.x) can be purchased with a 30% discount.
- Windows XP or later (32/64-bit).
- Intel® Pentium® processor.
- 256MB of available RAM (512MB or more recommended).
- 50MB of free space on your hard drive.
- 800x600 graphic device (higher resolution recommended).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
A WinToUSB usage guide is available here and FAQ is available here.
Bugs or Enhancement Requests
You can send an e-mail or ask a question in the forum.
- Version V2.4 (2015.10.12)
- Convert Locale Disk to Windows To Go Workspace
- Convert CD/DVD to ISO image file
- Improved disk partitioning and formatting algorithms
- Polish language support
- Fix other minor bugs
- Version 2.3 (2015.8.10)
- Support for official Windows 10 ISO which contains both x86 and x64 in one ISO
- Clone current Windows OS which on a dynamic disk to a USB drive
- Support for Windows Tiny7
- Bulgarian language support
- Fix other minor bugs
- Version 2.2 (2015.7.13)
- MBR-based Windows To Go USB drive support booting both BIOS-based and UEFI-based computers
- Clone current Windows OS (Windows 7 or later) to a VHD file on a USB drive
- Clone current Windows OS (Windows 7 or later) to a USB flash drive
- Sector by sector clone Windows OS to a USB drive
- German language support
- Learn More