Install and Run Windows on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive!
WinToUSB is a free software that allows you to install and run Windows operating system on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive, using an ISO image or CD/DVD drive as the source of installation.
WinToUSB's key features include:
- Easy-to-use wizard interface that provides step-by-step instructions for installing Windows on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive.
- Install Windows from an ISO image or CD/DVD drive.
- Support for Windows NT 6.x OS family (Vista/7/8/8.1/2008/2008 R2/2012/2012 R2).
- Use any edition of Windows 8(.1) to create Windows To Go USB drive.
- Support for MBR and GPT disk layouts.
- Don't need install WAIK (Windows Automated Installation Kit) or WADK (Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit).
- Windows Vista/7/2008/2008 R2 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, so Windows Vista/7/2008/2008 R2 will have to be booted from a USB 2.0 port.
- USB flash drives are very slow. It takes a long time to install and run Windows from a USB flash drive, highly recommend using a USB hard disk.
- Windows To Go drives can be booted on different computers, so you can carry it to anywhere and use it on any computer.
- Windows 7 is not completely portable. You may have activation and driver problems when booting on different computers.
- You need to be an administrator on the computer you are installing the WinToUSB on.
- Windows XP or later (32/64-bit).
- Intel® Pentium® processor.
- 256MB of available RAM (512MB or more recommended).
- 10MB of free space on your hard drive.
- 800x600 graphic device (higher resolution recommended).
Download WinToUSB V1.2
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
A WinToUSB usage guide is available here and FAQ is available here.
Bugs or Enhancement Requests
You can send an e-mail or ask a question in the forum.
If you enjoy using our software, please consider making a donation.
- Version 1.2 (2014.2.23)
- French language support
- Bug fixes
- Version 1.1 (2014.1.25)
- Version 1.0 (2014.1.1)
- Version 1.0 (2013.12.8)