Hasleo Software Forums

Full Version: Restore to GPT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My Windows 10 installation's BIOS mode is Legacy. HBS restore has a "Restore to GPT" feature. Does this feature convert an MBR system to UEFI? And after restoration, the system will boot, or is a BIOS mode change required?
@khanyash... GPT is a FORMAT, not a BOOTable environment.  UEFI is a BOOTable environment.  Yes, most modern Systems are UEFI-GPT... but they don't have to be (Legacy Systems can be created on GPT disks... rare, but doable).

I'm assuming (don't know for sure unless I play with it Rolleyes ) that all this option does is change the disk format upon restoration, not change the entire BOOTing environment (Legacy to UEFI)... that's a lot more work.
Thank you for the info.

My Windows installation is Legacy MBR. I thought that option would convert the system to UEFI.
(03-11-2023, 03:08 AM)khanyash Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the info.

My Windows installation is Legacy MBR. I thought that option would convert the system to UEFI.

Yes, it can help you convert your MBR-based Windows system to UEFI and guarantee that you will be able to boot Windows in UEFI mode.
(03-11-2023, 11:39 AM)admin Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-11-2023, 03:08 AM)khanyash Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the info.

Yes, it can help you convert your MBR-based Windows system to UEFI and guarantee that you will be able to boot Windows in UEFI mode.

Would I have to enter the BIOS to set the mode to UEFI after the conversion?

(I cannot access the BIOS setup as the laptop's function keys don't work. I don't have an external keyboard.)
Yes... the app WILL NOT do this for you.  If your older BiOS just happens to be set to UEFI-CSM (an older mode that could do both), you may be alright... better know ahead of time and have a good backup just in case.

I guess my next question would be... why do you feel you need to go to UEFI BOOTing?  Does not the existing Legacy BOOT work just fine?
I cannot access the BIOS setup as the laptop's function keys and some other keys don't work. The Advanced Startup option lists only Startup Repair under Troubleshooting.

On a UEFI system, I can use a bootable USB with Advanced Startup. It will be helpful in some situations. I can use Eazy Fix, as it supports mouse-use to access its pre-boot console features on a UEFI system.

And I guess I can use EasyUEFI to set the boot order permanently to USB. It will allow me to boot the system normally or use a bootable USB to fix the unbootable system. Am I right?
Seems like a lot of work to avoid a laptop keyboard replacement.  I would even consider an inexpensive EXTERNAL USB keyboard the few times I needed direct BiOS access... to each his own, I guess.
Yes, it's a rather old laptop, too. I'm looking to buy a new laptop in a month or two. Anyway, I'm going to purchase an external keyboard. It'll come in handy for everyday tasks and in such situations.
Make sure it's not wireless (sometimes driver issues with receivers).
Pages: 1 2