Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win2USB fails to continue after reboot
Hi

I'm trying to get Win2USB to clone my existing Windows 8.1 installation to a USB drive. The process starts well, with Win2USB detecting my existing installation and the partitions I have created on the external USB drive. However when it prompts to reboot, it does but nothing then happens apart from a normal Windows boot. I presume something is supposed to happen in the meantime?

I have tried version 2.0 and 2.1 Beta with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks
It doesn't boot into WinPE?
Please follow the steps below:
1. Run cmd.exe as administrator
2. Type: bcdedit /enum all, this will give you a list of options
3. Is there have a "Windows PE (WinToUSB)" option? Like this:

Windows Boot Manager
-------------------
identifier {876c3924-9203-4458-94f7-0fbdc01f9db6}
device ramdisk=[C:]\boot\WINTOUSB.WIM,{876c3923-9203-4458-94f7-0fbdc01f9db6}
path \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description Windows PE (WinToUSB)
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
osdevice ramdisk=[C:]\boot\WINTOUSB.WIM,{876c3923-9203-4458-94f7-0fbdc01f9db6}
systemroot \windows
nx OptIn
detecthal Yes
winpe Yes
(03-31-2015, 10:00 PM)admin Wrote: It doesn't boot into WinPE?
Please follow the steps below:
1. Run cmd.exe as administrator
2. Type: bcdedit /enum all, this will give you a list of options
3. Is there have a "Windows PE (WinToUSB)" option? Like this:

Windows Boot Manager
-------------------
identifier              {876c3924-9203-4458-94f7-0fbdc01f9db6}
device                  ramdisk=[C:]\boot\WINTOUSB.WIM,{876c3923-9203-4458-94f7-0fbdc01f9db6}
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description             Windows PE (WinToUSB)
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
osdevice                ramdisk=[C:]\boot\WINTOUSB.WIM,{876c3923-9203-4458-94f7-0fbdc01f9db6}
systemroot              \windows
nx                      OptIn
detecthal               Yes
winpe                   Yes

That is correct - no entry for WINTOUSB.WIM.

Would a copy of the output or a partition list of my internal HD be of use?

Thanks
Please send the user.log to me.
Is there any solution?
(04-04-2015, 07:30 AM)mrjonson Wrote: Is there any solution?

Pending...
(04-04-2015, 07:30 AM)mrjonson Wrote: Is there any solution?

Please send the "user.log" to me, it is located in the bin folder under the installation directory.

Thanks
Sad 
Hi
I have the same problem, seems to boot up when it feels like it lol, some problem with the booter. Im using Zalman ZM-VE300 and installed win 8.1 with Win2USB, switched then to another computer and set the bios to load from the USB and it booted up and started installing the windows but when it restarted it failed to boot the USB and skipped it w/o error and whent to the internal hdd. I removed the internal hdd and restarted and it failed to boot up on the usb but gave me option to press F1 to retry so I did and it booted up on USB and kept installing the windows. I finished installing the windows 8.1 on the ZalmanUSB, restarted and it booted up fine. Then I turned off the computer and connected the internal hdd, turned it on (with bios still to load from USB) and it skipped the USB (seem to have failed but wo error) and started to boot from the internal hdd, I sayd f that and turned the computer off and on again and it booted up on the USB!! FINALLY!. Now installing some programs and updates and restarting between and like I sayd in the start.. It sometimes boot and sometimes not.  I dont know if its this old Dell Inspiron 1520 thats making the prob or not, I think there is something buggy in the USB boot PE tough.
I will try see whats wrong

Was going to attach the log but not allowed Huh

Tested now several times, problem only happens when Restarting, if I turn off compleatly and power back it boots up USB perfectly!
I found out what the problem is! The computer!, in this case Dell Inspiron 1520. Problem is the Bios in the Dell, it only allows you to set "Boot from USB" not to select specific USB just global witch is making the problem and btw only usb mouse and usb hdd connected. I tested on my PC where I could really select witch USB to boot from and it worked perfectly, even restart.
I hope this help someone (well answers at least)