Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error when trying to install Windows 10 1809 on external SSD
Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 1809 (from an ISO downloaded using Microsoft Media Creation Tool) on an external SSD (it's actually an internal one connected through a USB enclosure), but I'm getting the error: "The operation may damage the current Windows installation". I'm attaching a picture of the error below. I'm running WinToHDD from a Windows Pro machine registered using a Microsoft Dreamspark (student) key.

[Image: W1ucmjQ.png]
(12-13-2018, 10:29 AM)PhantomR Wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 1809 (from an ISO downloaded using Microsoft Media Creation Tool) on an external SSD (it's actually an internal one connected through a USB enclosure), but I'm getting the error: "The operation may damage the current Windows installation". I'm attaching a picture of the error below. I'm running WinToHDD from a Windows Pro machine registered using a Microsoft Dreamspark (student) key.

[Image: W1ucmjQ.png]

May I ask if the Windows operating system you are currently using is started from this USB? WinToHDD does not allow Windows to be installed on the disk where the current system resides, as this will cause the current system to fail to start.
Thank you for your reply. No, my currently used OS is installed on Disk 0, which is a normal HDD. I'm trying to install on an external SSD, which is Disk 1 (in the picture).
(12-13-2018, 08:15 PM)PhantomR Wrote: Thank you for your reply. No, my currently used OS is installed on Disk 0, which is a normal HDD. I'm trying to install on an external SSD, which is Disk 1 (in the picture).

Please download and install the following version and try again. 
http://www.easyuefi.com/wintohdd/downloa...181213.exe

If it still fails, please send the user.log file which located in the bin folder under the installation directory of WinToHDD to us (via e-mail at: [email protected]). 

Thanks.
Using that version gives me the error "Installing Windows on an external hard drive is not supported in the trial/free version" Sad. I guess I can't install then.. Thanks for your help!