Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win to USB - No Mac Support
I have successfully created a Win 8.1 external USB hard drive using WinToUSB and it works perfectly on my PC. However when I try to boot from it on my iMac (selecting the EFI Partition from boot devices) it just freezes. Any tips on how to make the drive compatible with Macs?

The hard drive I want to install it on is a 1TB Western Digital MyPassport Ultra (USB 3.0). It is currently formatted to NTFS. Again, I can boot it up on my PC just fine, but my iMac is a no go.

Thanks! Dodgy
(03-09-2015, 09:10 AM)jclarke Wrote: I have successfully created a Win 8.1 external USB hard drive using WinToUSB and it works perfectly on my PC. However when I try to boot from it on my iMac (selecting the EFI Partition from boot devices) it just freezes. Any tips on how to make the drive compatible with Macs?

The hard drive I want to install it on is a 1TB Western Digital MyPassport Ultra (USB 3.0). It is currently formatted to NTFS. Again, I can boot it up on my PC just fine, but my iMac is a no go.

Thanks! Dodgy

Sorry,  I don’t have a Mac computer, so I can't help you.
Don't have a MAC either but consider. UEFI was new to me on Windows and must have at least a similar arrangement on your hardware. To boot anything other than Windows under UEFI the firmware must be massaged. For Asus at least; Fast Boot must be Disabled, Secure Boot must be Disabled, and the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Enabled, to allow booting from USB. (All for your protection of course to prevent someone sitting down at and highjacking your computer!)

DES
Works fine here on a MBP.
Both with refind and the OS X bootloader.

Except on a Mid. 2011 MacBookPro