Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Startup error 0xc000000e after wipe and restore
Why do I get a startup error 0xc000000e which indicates a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed if I create a full disk backup image from the emergency disk and then wipe the entire drive and then restore the full disk backup back to the same drive.  Does the disk signature or GUID change if the drive is wiped and then restored?  System backup can only be done from within Windows and cannot be done from emergency disk.  What's the difference between system backup and full disk backup?  This issue doesn't occur if I do a full backup and restore using Macrium Reflect rescue disk.
(01-31-2023, 12:03 AM)Keith Weisshar Wrote: Why do I get a startup error 0xc000000e which indicates a required device isn't connected or can't be accessed if I create a full disk backup image from the emergency disk and then wipe the entire drive and then restore the full disk backup back to the same drive.  Does the disk signature or GUID change if the drive is wiped and then restored?  System backup can only be done from within Windows and cannot be done from emergency disk.  What's the difference between system backup and full disk backup?  This issue doesn't occur if I do a full backup and restore using Macrium Reflect rescue disk.

Sorry for the late reply, the error code you provided does not seem to be a correct Hasleo Backup Suite error code. We'll try to reproduce the issue and tell you the results as soon as possible. The system backup feature only backs up Windows OS related partitions, the current version does not have the ability to properly identify Windows OS related partitions in the WinPE environment, so it is not possible to perform system backup, and we will improve it in future releases.
Hi,

I just fixed this error after doing a restore of a full image backup with all the system partitions created by Windows in UEFI mode.

- Boot the machine using the Hasleo Backup Suite Rescue Disk
- open the Windows Command Prompt using the option available on the menu (first icon on the top right of the window), sorry don't know the proper name!
- on the Windows Command Prompt run Diskpart

- inside Diskpart type:
   list volume
// from the list of volumes take note of the ID for the FAT32 partition used by the UEFI boot
// replace <ID> with the proper number on the following command
  select volume <ID>
  assign letter m
  exit
// back to the Windows Command prompt type:
bcdboot c:\windows /s m: /f UEFI
cd m:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot
ren BCD BCD.old
bootrec /RebuildBCD

The last command should ask about adding a boot entry for Windows on the C: drive, confirm the operation.

After doing this rebooted the machine and Windows 10 booted successfully.
Can someone provide a screenshot of this error? Thanks.
Hi,

As requested.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-18-2023, 03:10 AM)rpaz Wrote: Hi,

As requested.

Was the restored image file generated under Windows? This should not happen if the image file is a system backup image.
Hi,

(02-18-2023, 01:03 PM)admin Wrote: Was the restored image file generated under Windows? This should not happen if the image file is a system backup image.

Not in my case, I use the WinPE Rescue disk to Backup/Restore, used the option Disk/Partition Backup and selected everything on the source drive.

The SSD only have the C: drive and the other system partitions that Windows 10 creates for the UEFI layout. The disk is in GPT mode.
(02-19-2023, 01:16 AM)rpaz Wrote: Hi,

(02-18-2023, 01:03 PM)admin Wrote: Was the restored image file generated under Windows? This should not happen if the image file is a system backup image.

Not in my case, I use the WinPE Rescue disk to Backup/Restore, used the option Disk/Partition Backup and selected everything on the source drive.

The SSD only have the C: drive and the other system partitions that Windows 10 creates for the UEFI layout. The disk is in GPT mode.

Yes, backing up the disk where the Windows operating system is located in a rescue disk and then restoring it will cause this issue, and we will improve it in future releases. We recommend using System Backup to back up the Windows operating system.
(02-19-2023, 12:39 PM)admin Wrote: Yes, backing up the disk where the Windows operating system is located in a rescue disk and then restoring it will cause this issue, and we will improve it in future releases. We recommend using System Backup to back up the Windows operating system.

I see, then the Backup must be done on Windows!

Personally I prefer to create the backup image by booting from the WinPE, I do this to avoid any eventual problem with VSS and in theory I expect to have more speed because direct access to the disk can be used.

In my case I'm cloning the same image to several other machines with the exact same specs, using the WinPE I avoid to have the software installed on every machine!...
(02-24-2023, 03:01 AM)rpaz Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 12:39 PM)admin Wrote: Yes, backing up the disk where the Windows operating system is located in a rescue disk and then restoring it will cause this issue, and we will improve it in future releases. We recommend using System Backup to back up the Windows operating system.

I see, then the Backup must be done on Windows!

Personally I prefer to create the backup image by booting from the WinPE, I do this to avoid any eventual problem with VSS and in theory I expect to have more speed because direct access to the disk can be used.

In my case I'm cloning the same image to several other machines with the exact same specs, using the WinPE I avoid to have the software installed on every machine!...

Identifying Windows OS-related partitions (system partition, boot partition, recovery partition, etc.) in WinPE is not easy, and there may be multiple operating systems on the computer, which complicates things even more, which is why system backups are not provided in WinPE. We will do our best to improve it.