Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem creating Grandfather, Father, Son backups
(12-08-2023, 10:41 PM)m.e. Wrote: (Small number theory mistake, I should have started with "Full-00", OR assigned Diff 49 (and Inc-B 07) (instead of full 01, OR Diff 48/IncB-06))

Yes, perhaps my point was more to demonstate the problem with a high number of incrementals and increasing size of differentials, forcing the user to make a new Full Backup often.

Let's see if it is possible to get HBS to do this to some degree:

00 Full
01 Inc-A
11 Inc-A
12 Inc-B ### user removes 02,...,11 before creation of 12
13 Inc-A
23 Inc-A
24 Inc-B ### user removes 13 ... 23 before creation of 24
25 Inc-A
35 Inc-A
36 Inc-B ### user removes 25 ... 35 before creation of 36
37 Inc-A
47 Inc-A
48 Inc-B and Diff-B ### user removes 37 ... 47 before creation of 48-Inc-B. User then created 48-Diff-B and MOVES Diff-B into separate folder. Inc-A-49 (and Inc-B-60) will now be based on Inc-B 48 (it is not so imporant to make it also work with Diff, this possibility is unnessary and not available in this solution)
49 Inc-A
59 Inc-A
60 Inc-B ### user removes 49 ... 59 before creation of 60.

Does this work?

The incremental backup generated by HBS is always based on the last version of the backup, while the differential backup is always based on the last full version of the backup, so you can do it manually. However, we don't recommend it, it's too complicated and error-prone.
Thank you. You primarily mean USER-ERROR-prone, not APPLICATION-ERROR-prone, correct?
(12-12-2023, 10:20 PM)m.e. Wrote: Thank you. You primarily mean USER-ERROR-prone, not APPLICATION-ERROR-prone, correct?

Yes, you're right. For HBS, it always generates incremental backups based on the last backup version and always generates differential backups based on the last full backup, so you have to know what you're going to do and how to do it.
Just as a final update on the problems reported above.

Today, as the first Sunday of the month, my system's full backup ran as expected.

Thanks for the update that allowed this to happen and for the great product!
(01-08-2024, 01:20 AM)RobLatour Wrote: Just as a final update on the problems reported above.

Today, as the first Sunday of the month, my system's full backup ran as expected.

Thanks for the update that allowed this to happen and for the great product!

Glad to hear that. Happy New Year.