Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System Restore points not being backed up
I noticed that restore points are not being backed up.

I can understand a pagefile and a hibernation file being excluded, but having the restore points could be useful after an image is restored.

If there is documentation that points to what is being automatically excluded from the images, I would appreciate a link on where to find it.

Otherwise, it would be good to have an option on what to include and exclude (i.e. $UsnJournal, restore points)
Well, to each his own, I guess.  Since an HBS imaging snapshot is a super restore point, I never even think of using restore points any more... I always use a MANUAL Incremental image before any important System changes (monthly updates, semi-annual upgrades, major application changes, etc.).  System Restore Points are so restricted in what they save (only important Windows issues, nothing more).  Imaging snapshots save all changes except for specific exclusions... PageFile, etc., which, as we know, are not needed after reBOOTs.
(07-18-2023, 12:50 PM)OldNavyGuy Wrote: I noticed that restore points are not being backed up.

I can understand a pagefile and a hibernation file being excluded, but having the restore points could be useful after an image is restored.

If there is documentation that points to what is being automatically excluded from the images, I would appreciate a link on where to find it.

Otherwise, it would be good to have an option on what to include and exclude (i.e. $UsnJournal, restore points)

I'm sorry, Hasleo Backup Suite currently excludes page file, hibernation file and restore points, and we will improve it in future releases.
With the introduction of FastStartup in Windows 10, I believe the HiberFile is integrated in with the Fast Startup function.
(07-18-2023, 11:04 PM)Froggie Wrote: Well, to each his own, I guess.  Since an HBS imaging snapshot is a super restore point, I never even think of using restore points any more... I always use a MANUAL Incremental image before any important System changes (monthly updates, semi-annual upgrades, major application changes, etc.).  System Restore Points are so restricted in what they save (only important Windows issues, nothing more).  Imaging snapshots save all changes except for specific exclusions... PageFile, etc., which, as we know, are not needed after reBOOTs.

Regular users are not quite as diligent.

Actually, in Windows Vista through 11, a system restore point is also a volume shadow copy...which contains a snapshot of the entire drive...including personal files.

Using a tool like Nirsoft's ShadowCopyView, those individual files can be restored.

However, when using System Restore, only Windows-specific files are restored.