Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wintohdd "formatted" wrong HDD and encrypted files
So, I was trying to clone windows 11 from one sdd nvme to an external one. I used wintohdd, chose the external sdd. It did a few things and asked to restart the system. After a while it did not progress and gave an error ( don´t remember the big number that appeared ). After rebooting, I saw that wintohdd "formatted" another internal ssd, divided it in two partitions, one with the "wintohdd" name. How can I fix it? Is it reversible? I did not put anything into the "formatted" ssd. All programs that I searched on google recover the ssd, but won´t keep the name or the order of the original file structures. Please, help me!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-27-2023, 08:16 AM)Tecoboy Wrote: So, I was trying to clone windows 11 from one sdd nvme to an external one. I used wintohdd, chose the external sdd. It did a few things and asked to restart the system. After a while it did not progress and gave an error ( don´t remember the big number that appeared ). After rebooting, I saw that wintohdd "formatted" another internal ssd, divided it in two partitions, one with the "wintohdd" name. How can I fix it? Is it reversible? I did not put anything into the "formatted" ssd. All programs that I searched on google recover the ssd, but won´t keep the name or the order of the original file structures. Please, help me!

I am very sorry that formatting is irreversible, you can only try to recover as many lost files as possible using data recovery software.
(07-27-2023, 12:08 PM)admin Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 08:16 AM)Tecoboy Wrote: So, I was trying to clone windows 11 from one sdd nvme to an external one. I used wintohdd, chose the external sdd. It did a few things and asked to restart the system. After a while it did not progress and gave an error ( don´t remember the big number that appeared ). After rebooting, I saw that wintohdd "formatted" another internal ssd, divided it in two partitions, one with the "wintohdd" name. How can I fix it? Is it reversible? I did not put anything into the "formatted" ssd. All programs that I searched on google recover the ssd, but won´t keep the name or the order of the original file structures. Please, help me!

Edit: TestDisk was able to recover about 200 GB of my stuff, but a lot of it is in unrecognizable files that I'm not familiar with the extensions to. As an example, the biggest file it recovered was 125 GB and was a .gpg, which google said has something to do with encryption. The second biggest, 60 GB, is a .fcp, which google said is a Final Cut Pro file while I use Premiere Pro and After Effects. Did WinToHDD encrypt it?

I am very sorry that formatting is irreversible, you can only try to recover as many lost files as possible using data recovery software.
Data recovery software is only recovering 45 GB out of about 900, is there a specific reason why that would be useful to know?
(07-27-2023, 09:56 PM)Tecoboy Wrote:
(07-27-2023, 12:08 PM)admin Wrote:

Edit: TestDisk was able to recover about 200 GB of my stuff, but a lot of it is in unrecognizable files that I'm not familiar with the extensions to. As an example, the biggest file it recovered was 125 GB and was a .gpg, which google said has something to do with encryption. The second biggest, 60 GB, is a .fcp, which google said is a Final Cut Pro file while I use Premiere Pro and After Effects. Did WinToHDD encrypt it?

Data recovery software is only recovering 45 GB out of about 900, is there a specific reason why that would be useful to know?

I'm sorry that formatting partitions will write some data to disk, which will overwrite the original data and cause some data to be unrecoverable.