Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error configuring Notifications
I'm currently testing HBSF 3.8 and trying to configure the 'Notifications' tab in 'Backup options' but every email address I try gives the error message "invalid email address. (0x1D301F00000000) and I can't save my changes.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?
There may be a bug in the code that determines the validity of the email address. Can you provide us with an email address that the program does not correctly recognize?
I can't find a valid email address. Everything I've tried is invalid! I've even tried single/double quotes and escaping "\@" but nothing works.

As a specific example '[email protected]' is invalid
(10-29-2023, 03:26 PM)PhilTheHill Wrote: I can't find a valid email address. Everything I've tried is invalid! I've even tried single/double quotes and escaping "\@" but nothing works.

This shouldn't be happening, and it doesn't have any problems on our side.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=402]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-29-2023, 06:00 PM)admin Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 03:26 PM)PhilTheHill Wrote: I can't find a valid email address. Everything I've tried is invalid! I've even tried single/double quotes and escaping "\@" but nothing works.

It would appear that the issue isn't with the email address for the notification but that the SMTP authentication field is expected to be an email address. Most now are but mine just requires a 'username' and password.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-30-2023, 07:46 AM)PhilTheHill Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 06:00 PM)admin Wrote:

It would appear that the issue isn't with the email address for the notification but that the SMTP authentication field is expected to be an email address. Most now are but mine just requires a 'username' and password.

I'm sorry, Hasleo Backup Suite currently only supports the use of email addresses for SMTP authentication. And the email sending feature provided by Hasleo Backup Suite is a simple implementation, and it does not implement the full functionality provided by popular third-party email clients.

Google has removed support for password access on May 30, 2022, so it seems that no one can send emails using username and passwords in third-party apps.
Thank you for your reply and I understand this limitation of the notification implementation.

I was not intending to use Google as the SMTP server but using that as a well known email provider, although it no longer permits authentication by username/password.

I will configure a dedicated email account for testing HBSF notifications.

Can I suggest that this form be updated in a future release to indicate that "SMTP authentication" must be an email address or the error message to show which field is invalid? (I would then have used a different email account for testing notifications.)
(10-31-2023, 03:18 PM)PhilTheHill Wrote: Thank you for your reply and I understand this limitation of the notification implementation.

I was not intending to use Google as the SMTP server but using that as a well known email provider, although it no longer permits authentication by username/password.

I will configure a dedicated email account for testing HBSF notifications.

Can I suggest that this form be updated in a future release to indicate that "SMTP authentication" must be an email address or the error message to show which field is invalid? (I would then have used a different email account for testing notifications.)

Thanks for your suggestion and we will improve it in future releases.