Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File Backup restore in Hasleo Backup Suite 4.0.0.0
Hello Hasleo Team,

today I utilized the 'File Backup' function under Backup in Hasleo Backup Suite 4.0.0.0 and it works quite nicely. Unfortunately, if I try to restore the data to another partition (not the original location), Hasleo Backup Suite creates a directory with the original drive letter followed by a '+'-sign and restores data inside, allthough I decided to restore data saved from drive D:\ into the root of drive T:\ in this case scenario.

Could you please change this behavior and instead let Hasleo Backup Suite restore the data in to the root of a partition and not create a sub-directory on the destination partition named 'D+' ?

Thanks for any reply.

Regards,
Marcy
(01-18-2024, 10:22 PM)Marcy Wrote: Hello Hasleo Team,

today I utilized the 'File Backup' function under Backup in Hasleo Backup Suite 4.0.0.0 and it works quite nicely. Unfortunately, if I try to restore the data to another partition (not the original location), Hasleo Backup Suite creates a directory with the original drive letter followed by a '+'-sign and restores data inside, allthough I decided to restore data saved from drive D:\ into the root of drive T:\ in this case scenario.

Could you please change this behavior and instead let Hasleo Backup Suite restore the data in to the root of a partition and not create a sub-directory on the destination partition named 'D+' ?

Thanks for any reply.

Regards,
Marcy

I'm sorry, users may choose to restore files (folders) from multiple partitions (and the same files (folders) may exist in these partitions) to the destination path, so we must identify which partition the files (folders) are restored from.
(01-19-2024, 11:44 AM)admin Wrote:
(01-18-2024, 10:22 PM)Marcy Wrote: Hello Hasleo Team,

Thanks for any reply.

Regards,
Marcy

I'm sorry, users may choose to restore files (folders) from multiple partitions (and the same files (folders) may exist in these partitions) to the destination path, so we must identify which partition the files (folders) are restored from.

Why not make it an option and let the user decide? In this scenario we did a File Backup from one partition that was bigger than the destination partition. The destination partition was empty (or formatted) and we wanted to restore the complete data from the source partition. If you use Windows Server Backup than it's possible to restore the data the way it was on the source partition, with Hasleo Backup it is not possible and you do not let the user decide whether to restore the data to the root or into a subdirectory. Bad decision and so Hasleo is no real alternative to Windows Server Backup. Furthermore, you cannot restore data from a source partition that is bigger than the destination partition, which we tried first.
(01-21-2024, 01:06 AM)Marcy Wrote: If you use Windows Server Backup than it's possible to restore the data the way it was on the source partition, with Hasleo Backup it is not possible and you do not let the user decide whether to restore the data to the root or into a subdirectory. Bad decision and so Hasleo is no real alternative to Windows Server Backup.

Windows Server Backup and Hasleo Backup Suite are targeted to two different user bases.

Hasleo has never claimed HBS is a server product, so it's apples and oranges.
Windows Server Backup was just an example. Hasleo Backup Suite would have the potential to even replace Windows Server Backup with its File Server Backup functionality. You can take whatever Backup program you like ... let's say Veritas Backup Exec or Commvault Backup & Recovery. They all allow the restore of files into whatever place of a disk partition, only Hasleo is stubborn and insist to only restore data into an additional subdirectory instead of asking the user, where he wants to restore the data to!

I personally would find it bad to backup and restore files with an extra program like e.g. AOMEI Backupper to backup and restore data the way we would like.

As long as Hasleo Backup Suite insists to restore data into an additional subdirectory instead of into the root itself or at least to let the user decide, we are forced to use a different program.
(01-22-2024, 05:35 PM)Marcy Wrote: As long as Hasleo Backup Suite insists to restore data into an additional subdirectory instead of into the root itself or at least to let the user decide, we are forced to use a different program.
No one is forcing you to use HBS.

There are lots of other products out there...pick one.

I use more than one...and which one I use depends on my use cases.

My paid product does not have file/folder imaging capability, and never will. Hasleo does. So in combination, they both work well.

However, I don't browbeat the paid product vendor because it doesn't cover that functionality.
(01-22-2024, 05:35 PM)Marcy Wrote: Windows Server Backup was just an example. Hasleo Backup Suite would have the potential to even replace Windows Server Backup with its File Server Backup functionality. You can take whatever Backup program you like ... let's say Veritas Backup Exec or Commvault Backup & Recovery. They all allow the restore of files into whatever place of a disk partition, only Hasleo is stubborn and insist to only restore data into an additional subdirectory instead of asking the user, where he wants to restore the data to!

I personally would find it bad to backup and restore files with an extra program like e.g. AOMEI Backupper to backup and restore data the way we would like.

As long as Hasleo Backup Suite insists to restore data into an additional subdirectory instead of into the root itself or at least to let the user decide, we are forced to use a different program.

You're right, giving users the option to restore to the root of the drive is a good suggestion, and we'll improve it in future releases.
Hello Hasleo Team,

this is a wise decision. Appreciated. This will further provide acceptance of Hasleo Backup Suite.

Good luck,
Marcy
Ok, yesterday we tried to restore files which we backed-up with the File Backup function (Hasleo Backup Suite 4.2) and during restore we are not only missing the option to restore data to a specific directory or subdirectory directly without having an additional subdirectory of the original drive letter with a `+`-sign, but we also miss the option to restore data without the need to re-create the original subdirectory structure.

We don't know, if Hasleo Backup Suite 4.4 has changed this behavior, but we will have another trial, as we have just seen that 4.4 has been released, which is still not reflected on the main web page.

Thanks for any reply Hasleo Admin Team.
(03-22-2024, 12:38 PM)Marcy Wrote: Ok, yesterday we tried to restore files which we backed-up with the File Backup function (Hasleo Backup Suite 4.2) and during restore we are not only missing the option to restore data to a specific directory or subdirectory directly without having an additional subdirectory of the original drive letter with a `+`-sign, but we also miss the option to restore data without the need to re-create the original subdirectory structure.

We don't know, if Hasleo Backup Suite 4.4 has changed this behavior, but we will have another trial, as we have just seen that 4.4 has been released, which is still not reflected on the main web page.

Thanks for any reply Hasleo Admin Team.

Version V4.4 has not changed the behavior of restoring files from a file backup.