Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(SOLVED) File Backup will save hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys -> waste of space
Hello,

when doing a File Backup and selecting C:, Hasleo Backup will save hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys. I think this means it is not possible to save ALL files in C: _except_ hiberfil/pagefile.

Saving these two files makes no sense and wastes a lot of space.

My suggestion would be to add an option to Hasleo Backup Suite: "INCLUDE pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys in File Backups".
This option could be either in a config.cfg text file "exclude_pagefile=1, exclude_hiberfil=1" so the user can change to 0, or an interface option.
I would suggest a config.cfg text file because this a very case that a user would want them to be included.

Thank you. 

You may want to prioritize this because it wastes a lot of space and I think there is no workaround. 

Please note that excluding the file from backup manually will prevent files from being backuped if they are newer than the initial full backup date unless the user checks the backup configuration before every backup.

===============
SOLUTION:
It is true that for every incremental/diff, Hasleo would backup a new version of hiberfil/pagefile.
However the problem is solvable:

Scenario A: User wants to save ALL of C: --> Use disk / partition backup.

Scenario B: User does NOT want to save ALL of C:
-> In this scenario it is not possible to save files that later are placed into C: ROOT (!) anyway -- unless the user manually adds them every time before an incremental (backup).
-> For this reason, there is no disadvantage in deselecting hiberfil and pagefile in c:
-> Average users might forget this. But the solution is easy: Just navigate to C:, go to right panel, scroll down, and deselect hiberfil and pagefile. You can even do this AFTER having created a backup because you can still edit the backup scheme. Subsequent incremental will thus NOT contain hiberfil/pagefile.
I would like to add that this problem is particularly bad I think because it will store a new version for every incremental because hiberfile changes all the time, wasting a lot of time and space for every incremental.
(04-21-2024, 07:52 PM)m.e. Wrote: when doing a File Backup and selecting C:, Hasleo Backup will save hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys. I think this means it is not possible to save ALL files in C: _except_ hiberfil/pagefile.
Previously, an admin replied that Hasleo does not include hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys in the backup. Another user expressed an opinion that their FileSystem placeholders are in the backup.
(04-22-2024, 04:50 PM)aldist Wrote: Previously, an admin replied that Hasleo does not include hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys in the backup.

Which proved to be incorrect.

https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/showthre...04#pid5104

See the screen shots.

Still an issue in HBS 4.4
(04-22-2024, 04:58 PM)OldNavyGuy Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 04:50 PM)aldist Wrote: Previously, an admin replied that Hasleo does not include hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys in the backup.

Which proved to be incorrect.

https://www.easyuefi.com/forums/showthre...04#pid5104

See the screen shots.

Still an issue in HBS 4.4

I'm sorry that file backup doesn't automatically exclude any files, so you'll need to manually unselect files that don't need to be backed up. The exclude file feature will be implemented in a later release. Thanks.
(04-21-2024, 07:52 PM)m.e. Wrote: Scenario B: User does NOT want to save ALL of C:
-> In this scenario it is not possible to save files that later are placed into C: ROOT (!) anyway -- unless the user manually adds them every time before an incremental (backup).
-> For this reason, there is no disadvantage in deselecting hiberfil and pagefile in c:
-> Average users might forget this. But the solution is easy: Just navigate to C:, go to right panel, scroll down, and deselect hiberfil and pagefile. You can even do this AFTER having created a backup because you can still edit the backup scheme. Subsequent incremental will thus NOT contain hiberfil/pagefile.
Are you talking about File Backup mode? I don't quite get it, can you explain in other words with a couple screenshots? Thanks.