Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to install W7/W10 fails due to an apparent existing AV or missing legacy mode
Sad 
Good morning,

for a few days now, I try to install either Windows7 or Windows10 in legacy mode to a 64G Toshiba usb stick via USB3, all done from within Virtualbox5 running a Win10 VM.

The first time I did so - using an ISO of Win7 x86 - everything worked flawless and I was able to boot the usb stick on my real machines.

Trying to create a working device after that however always failed by various error messages that either tell to turn off the AV software (which doesn't exist, Windows Defender is completely turned off during the process) OR that certain files from the WIM files couldn't be copied over OR also having only VHD creation as an option to choose from.

Eventually, the typical Windows FS hierarchy with it's directories and files exist but necessary files for a proper boot do not.
To choose partitions does not work either as only one is shown unless I try to create a USB from the apparent existing "HDD" install that exists in Virtualbox but again, this will also fail due to missing boot files.

So my question is, what can I do to make things working again?
To use a computer with native WinNT install is not an option as I know noone myself around me who has a computer that runs Windows.

Kind regards,
MOS6510
1. We highly recommend using Windows 10/8.1/8 to create portable Windows. Windows 7 is not completely portable, and you may have driver problems when booting on different computers.
2. From our tests and user feedback, the legacy mode may not work properly when using USB flash drives to create Windows To Go, and the VHD mode has best compatibility, so we have disabled the legacy mode in version 2.3.
3. If you encounter any errors when creating Windows To Go drive, please send the user.log file to me, it is located in the bin folder under the installation directory.

Thanks.