Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win8.1 to Mac - stuck at Windows logo
Hello there,

I installed Windows 8.1x64 on a 64GB USB 3.0 Stick using WinToUSB and everything seemed to work fine. Only when I try to actually boot from the USB (using a late 2013 Macbook Pro) I get stuck at the Windows logo and the loading animation, it doesn't initialize installation.

Am I maybe too impatient? Left it for almost 7 hours with no result. W/R speed of the stick is around 70 mb/s.
Did I make a mistake in formatting the USB drive to be bootable on a Macbook?
Or is it something else?

I'd be highly thankful if someone could help me.
Windows 7 To Go compatibility is not very good, we recommend using Windows 10/8.1/8 to create portable Windows, because Windows 10/8.1/8 To Go have better compatibility.
(01-27-2016, 11:57 PM)admin Wrote: Windows 7 To Go compatibility is not very good, we recommend using Windows 10/8.1/8 to create portable Windows, because Windows 10/8.1/8  To Go have better compatibility.

Well, as I said, I used Windows 8.1 64-bit.
As described on the website, I created two partitions on the USB drive, 200MB/FAT32 and 58GB/NTFS.
But WinToUSB deletes the partitions and creates a single NTFS partition.
Therefore I can't select separate partitions as system/boot partitions.
What do I do now?
First of all, MAC computer is a UEFI-based computer, so the Windows To Go drive which you want to boot on it must be a UEFI-based Windows To Go drive.

Secondly, on a usb flash drive, Windows will recognize only the first partition. This means that even if you create a multi-partitioned usb flash drive, Windows will not mount the other volumes or assign drive letters to them, in fact that Windows completely unable to access these partitions.

Finally, We all knew that installing Windows in UEFI mode requires 2 partitions, one for EFI system partition, the other one for Windows boot partition. But there can only be one partition on a USB flash drive in the Windows operating.

For the reasons mentioned above, WinToUSB does not support creating a UEFI-based Windows To Go drive using a USB flash drive yet, so the WinToUSB USB flash drive can't boot on a MAC computer, and maybe we will improve it in future releases.

There are two possible solutions for you:
1. We recommend that you use a USB hard disk or a Windows To Go Certified Drives to create a UEFI-based Windows To Go drive, then you can boot it from you MAC computer.
2. The "Physical To USB" can create a USB flash drive which can boot on a UEFI-based computer, maybe you can have a try.

BTW, I don't have a MAC computer and WinToUSB has not been tested on a MAC computer, so some features may not work correctly on a MAC computer.